Atlanta Community Food Bank
732 Joseph E Lowery Blvd., NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Who We Are:
The Atlanta Community Food Bank is working to end hunger in our community with the food, people and big ideas needed so that no one worries where their next meal is coming from. Since 1979, we’ve been providing food for a growing network of nonprofit partners – including food pantries, community kitchens, child care centers, night shelters and senior centers. We currently serve more than 600 partners in 29 counties across metro Atlanta and north Georgia.
About the Role:
The primary purpose of the Benefit Screener is to assist clients in submitting applications for public assistance programs at designated on and off site locations. As a benefits screener, you will also be responsible for submitting client documentation and recording client data. Through a partnership with the Department of Family and Children Services, our goal is to facilitate the application process for clients who may have limited access to transportation, have been historically underserved, or need general assistance with the application process.
What You’ll Do:
- Performs benefit screening and application assistance for various State and Federal benefits programs
- Represents clients as the authorized representative while applying for benefits as needed
- Recommends community resources to clients in areas such as: food, clothing, housing, mental health and medical services.
· Assists clients during on-site visits for assistance - escorting them while on premises
- Represents the Food Bank with community members and partners as subject matter expert and attends community events
- Records client data into web based CRM
- Periodically checks on status of applications and makes any necessary updates to CRM
- Maintains knowledge concerning program policy information and changes, such as eligibility requirements, acceptable forms of verification, etc.
- Monitors, tracks, and reports application progress and outcomes
· Generates reports in order to accurately capture the number of applications submitted in a given time frame.
- Maintains good rapport with partner agencies and clients
- Answers questions via phone, voicemail and/or email about organization, public benefits and/or services including providing addresses, directions and other referral information
- Interacts with a diverse group of people in a professional manner
What You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of (1) year of related experience
- Must be proficient in Google Apps and have experience using Google Sheets, or similar online CRM
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Customer Service
This role may be a fit for you if you:
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have a clear driving record and reliable transportation
- Are able to do independent work successfully as part of an overall team
Even Better if You Have:
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience with community outreach
- Experience working with public benefit programs
And You'll Love this Position if:
- You are by nature a self-starter, quick learner, detail oriented and have strong organizational and communication skills;
- You adjust quickly to changes to work processes and requirements
- You set high standards of performance for yourself and others and strive to consistently achieve excellence in all tasks and goals
- You form strong relationships and partnerships in order to provide an outstanding service experience to internal and external customers, and take responsibility for customer satisfaction by listening, following up and meeting deadlines.
There may be some Physical Demands and Travel:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee is routinely required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- The employee is frequently required to travel in the local metro Atlanta area to community partner sites. The Benefit Screener will work a flexible full time hourly schedule and be available to occasionally work weekends and/or evenings as assigned.