School Year Instructor
- Posted: over a month ago
- $20 Hourly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
Teach at Astrocamp! We are currently hiring full time Instructors for School Year 22/23. The position starts August 23, 2022. Astrocamp is a unique non-profit education center that specializes in astronomy and physical sciences. Located on a forested campus near the town of Idyllwild at an elevation of 5,600 feet amidst the beautiful San Jacinto Mountains of Southern California. Over 18,000 students from 8-17 years old attend Astrocamp each year. With excellent teaching facilities we bring science to life through hands-on, experiential classes and activities. Our labs and facilities include a heated pool; extensive ropes course and rock wall, innovative classrooms, and two state of the art telescope viewing areas with CCD capabilities. Instructors have small group sizes and remain with the same group of students throughout their 3 or 5-day program. Astrocamp provides incredible experiences for kids and instructors alike. Check us out at www.astrocampschool.org or visit www.guideddiscoveries.org.
School Year Instructor Qualifications: BS/BA, preferably Physics, Astronomy or STEM fields but all degrees are welcome to apply. Our extensive training will provide all the knowledge needed. Requires a passion for learning and working with children. Must be a positive, energetic, and organized team member who is eager to learn new content. Previous teaching experience is a plus. CPR, First Aid Certification required, and lifeguard certification is required within 6 months of being hired. Desire to work and live in a close-knit community is important.
School Year Instructor Salary and Benefits: Starting at $19.50/hour. Travel and move in stipend, Room, Board, Health Insurance, as well as Dental and Vision Insurance are provided. Staff live on-site in furnished apartments. Astrocamp is located on a 90-acre campus adjacent to a national forest with easy access to clear skies, world-class rock climbing, outstanding hiking, and great mountain biking.
- Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until July 15th or until positions are filled.
- Position: School Year Instructor
- Start Date: August 23, 2022
- Job Location: AstroCamp, CA - Idyllwild, CA
- Position Type: Full Time
School Year Instructor Position Summary:
Instructors are responsible for bringing physical sciences and astronomy concepts to life through hands-on, experiential education classes and activities to students who attend 3 or 5-day programs. The position also provides quality instruction and leadership to all outdoor programs.
School Year Instructor Qualifications:
- Completed BS/BA, preferably in Physics, Astronomy or STEM fields but all degrees are welcome
- Previous teaching experience a plus
- Passion for learning and working with children
- Be a positive, energetic, and organized team member
- Strong communication and human relations skills
- Certification in first aid, CPR, and lifeguarding (can be obtained on arrival)
- Desire and ability to live and work in a small camp community
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental hazards
- Good character, integrity, flexibility, and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and professional nature
- Good physical condition with mobility, visual, and auditory skills
- Legally authorized to work in the US
School Year Instructor Essential Job Duties:
- Safely and professionally implement program curriculum
- Proficient in academic knowledge of classes to be taught
- Present quality programs to school groups as assigned
- Aid in maintaining classrooms and facilities in good working order
- Communicate effectively and work well with guests and other staff
- Communicate any problems with staff or students to Program Director
- Work effectively as part of a team or on solo projects as required
- Attend and contribute to all leadership and instructional sessions for staff
- Enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Understand Guided Discoveries Safety Program and responsibilities
- Lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary
- Drive company vehicles if necessary
School Year Instructor Benefits:
- Travel Stipend – Varies with new employee’s current location
- Move In Stipend – Employee must stay with Guided Discoveries for 9 months
- Housing on campus
- Full meals provided
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance provided the 1st of the month after working 30 days of full-time employment
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance
- Guest visitation privileges with prior permission
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain environment
AstroCampWhy Work Here?
Unique opportunity to provide hands-on science education in an informal setting. Share your passion for science with young minds!
26800 Saunders Meadow RdLas Vegas, NV
EducationView all jobs at AstroCamp