Industrial Safety Engineer
Astra Alameda, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Safety is mission critical to Astra's success. You'll be joining a small but growing team of topnotch environmental, health, and safety (EHS) professionals as we transition from a small R&D startup to a vertically integrated rocket company.
As an Industrial Safety Engineer on the EHS Team, you will have the opportunity to develop, improve, and scale health and safety programs from the ground up! You will keep folks safe and healthy by supporting dynamic day-to-day operations across all Astra facilities.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Develop, implement, and manage industrial safety programs including but not limited to electrical safety (NFPA 70E), control of hazardous energy, lockout/tagout, working at heights (including fall protection, ladders, and lifts), confined spaces, forklift and powered industrial trucks, machine guarding, cranes and hoists, rigging, and hot work.
- Be a technical expert and leader, providing functional direction and developing/delivering recommendations, reports, and documentation in the overall application of EHS programs.
- Advise engineers, scientists, and operators in developing safety-related solutions to complex operations, such as improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment to minimize hazard potential.
- Review permits, engineering designs, drawings, assessments, plans, and policies as they relate to Astra operations in test, production, and manufacturing to ensure compliance with applicable EHS regulations.
- Conduct audits and inspections, write documentation, track corrective actions through to completion, and identify/monitor trends from findings.
- Participate in investigations, root cause analyses, and make recommendations.
- Validate systemic EHS integration in existing documentation, such as work instructions.
- Develop, conduct, and track safety training.
- Support other health and safety initiatives across Astra facilities.
- May respond to emergency situations during and/or after work hours to resolve immediate safety/security concerns.
Why We Value You
- You have 10 – 15 years of practical, hands-on experience with the implementation and management of EHS programs in aerospace, space, robotics, industrial, and/or manufacturing environments.
- You have a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification or other relevant certification.
- You have a BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university.
- You have a solid comprehension of engineering fundamentals.
- You have excellent written and verbal communications skills and can communicate seamlessly throughout all levels of the organization, including external partners.
- You can plan, organize, prioritize, and execute simultaneous projects and activities.
- You have experience working in hazardous environments with varying degrees of controls.
- You have developed and implemented EHS programs from scratch.
- You can work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Graduate from an accredited engineering program.
- Licensed PE (in California or other states).
- Experience with growing tech companies and startup culture.
- Passion for Astra's mission and vision for a healthier, more connected Earth.
Salary and Benefits
We're competitive in compensation and offer equity as part of the package. We have great benefits that include health, vision, dental, and 401K in comparison to other startups. We offer hot lunch every day and there's plenty of snacks and drinks to get you through the day. We celebrate our accomplishments with quarterly off-sites and frequent happy hours.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
ITAR Requirements: To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
© Astra Space Inc. All rights reserved, Astra is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Energy and EnvironmentView all jobs at Astra