- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) is a scholarly association based in the United States, dedicated to higher education as a field of study. There are nearly 2,000 members of the association, of whom about 40% are full-time graduate students undertaking master’s or doctoral degrees in a range of areas including education and other social sciences. About half of ASHE members are university faculty, mostly in academic programs that focus on some aspect of higher education, such as administration, leadership, or policy. ASHE members also include researchers working in non-university settings, including government, think-tanks, and advocacy organizations. Two to three percent of ASHE members are from outside the United States. Learn more at www.ashe.ws.
The annual conference provides opportunities for higher education scholars to present their research. Conference content is peer-reviewed. About half of the proposals are accepted each year. Authors are then invited to present their work as stand-alone papers, roundtable papers, or posters, or in self-designed paper and symposium sessions. An annual conference program committee is formed each year and other committees are appointed on an ad hoc basis. Learn more at www.ashe.ws/conference.
ASHE also engages in supporting members’ professional development by offering opportunities for ongoing learning. Activities include workshops at the annual conference, synchronous online webinars on research topics or methods, and asynchronous learning through social media and archived material. Some councils offer mentoring programs for early- or mid-career scholars, and periodically ASHE partners with a foundation to sponsor seminars or symposia related to specific topics or research methods. Learn more at www.ashe.ws/professionaldevelopment.
About the Role
The Administrative Assistant is a friendly problem-solver for members as the front-line contact for incoming requests as well as a manager of financial, business, and staff processes. The position is ultimately responsible for the day-to-day support of the association’s business and membership operations. The position will be one member of a team of three full-time staff members: the ASHE Executive Director who is responsible for operational strategy and oversight of the Association and the Coordinator/Director, Conference and Events.
Financial Management- 40% of total job
- Reconcile daily transactions between the association’s membership system (Naylor), credit card processing system (Paya), bank, and accounting system (QuickBooks).
- Manage the accounts receivable process (e.g., invoicing members and clients, processing payments)
- Manage the accounts payable process (e.g., receive invoices from vendors, process payments)
- Provide financial reports (e.g., statement of financial positions, budget report) to the Executive Director on a regular schedule
- Reconcile monthly statements from financial institutions (e.g., bank, credit card, investments)
- Keep up-to-date with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations about financial compliance and engage in professional development which enhances individual development and association efficiency
- Comply with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as the Association’s Budget, Finance, and Compliance Policies and Procedures.
Membership services- 30% of total job
- Serve as the front-line staff member for all forms of incoming contact: answering the main phone line, managing the general contact email address, and processing incoming mail. This includes connecting incoming contacts with appropriate solutions and/or other staff.
- Manage the weekly membership newsletter including receiving submissions and sending out the newsletter each week.
- Manage the jobs board including receiving postings, invoicing, and adding postings to the jobs board.
- Manage requests for mailing lists including receiving requests, ensuring compliance with policies, invoicing, and providing accurate data.
- Update and maintain the Association Management System (i.e., membership system).
Event Planning Support- 15% of total job
- Support registration and reporting processing for events.
- Manage event inventory, including ordering and tracking of Association supplies and equipment
- Attend and staff virtual events as necessary.
- Manage the registration process of the on-site annual conference in November of each year (requires a week of travel each November).
Team Support and Special Projects- 10% of total job
- Support the activities of other team members. This may include managing staff calendars and setting up meetings as needed.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Professional and Diversity Development- 5% of total job
- Participate in ongoing professional development through ASAE: The Center for Association Leadership and other financial and membership-oriented organizations.
- Continually develop cultural awareness and participate in activities that expand their understanding of, appreciation for, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
This is a fully remote position within the United States. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for their own dedicated and safe workspace as required by association policies, applicable laws, and insurance. The Administrative Assistant will be provided with a laptop, monitor, printer, desk phone, and other equipment and software necessary.
Travel is required three-four times per year and all travel expenses will be covered by the Association:
- Travel to the annual conference each November is required.
- Travel for summer planning meetings is negotiable but preferred.
- Travel to two to three in-person staff retreats/meetings each year are required.
Salary and Benefits
- Beginning salary is $38,000 with annual cost of living pay increases as well as the potential for annual merit pay increases
- Reimbursement of up to $100 in monthly work from home expenses.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, but a flexible work schedule is negotiable.
- Support for professional development opportunities related to the role.
- Health care, 401k, and other supplemental benefits are offered.
- Associate's Degree (or other 2-year degree) Required
- At least 1-3 years experience in office management.
- At least 1-3 years experience with financial management, accounting, bookkeeping, etc.
- At least 1-3 years experience in customer service.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with Quickbooks (preferably Quickbooks Online)
Application Materials and Timeline
Application materials are being accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed as they are received.
An application packet should be submitted through https://ashe.applytojob.com/apply/kRSwueNryB/Administrative-Assistant. Applications submitted outside of this platform will not be considered. Application materials should include:
- A cover letter addressed to ASHE Executive Director Dr. Jason P. Guilbeau and connecting your experiences to the responsibilities of the position and to ASHE as an organization
- A resume detailing office management, financial management, and customer service experience
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as applications are received.
The anticipated start date is September 1, 2022.
At this time, we are not hosting informational interviews. Due to the number of anticipated applications, we, unfortunately, cannot respond to update requests.
Powered by JazzHR
Association for the Study of Higher Education
BusinessView all jobs at Association for the Study of Higher Education