The Association for Psychological Science (APS), a DC-based scientific organization, seeks a highly motivated, detail oriented, and organized individual for the Director of Finance and Administration position. This is a full-time position in our Dupont Circle headquarters that provides the opportunity to contribute to and support all aspects of the association’s operations, bringing best practices and enthusiasm for working with our talented and dedicated staff.
APS is dedicated to the advancement and representation of scientific psychology across the full range of research areas in this diverse field. With over 33,000 members from around the world, APS membership includes the field’s leading scientists, academics, educators, and students. APS publishes six highly respected journals, hosts an annual US-based conference and a biannual international conference, publishes the monthly Observer magazine, and has a broad public outreach program that raises the visibility of APS members, their research, and the psychological science field as a whole. We are also in the process of identifying our next Executive Director.
About the Position
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, the Director of Finance and Administration has primary responsibility for ensuring the effective and efficient management of all financial, administrative, and human resource functions of APS:
- Works closely with directors of all departments to create and oversee the organization’s annual operating budget of ~$7 million. Conducts monthly budget review meetings, cash flow analysis, and budget trend reviews, and prepares the quarterly financial reports for the Board of Directors. Assists the Deputy Director in managing the organization’s investment portfolio and endowment fund.
- Directs all internal operations related to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General Ledger accounting, ensuring compliance with GAAP, non-profit audit standards and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Supervises the preparation of annual audit package and form 990, serves as primary point of contact with the accounting consultants and audit firm.
- Reviews and manages all administrative files and contracts, including insurance policies, publishing agreements, equipment rental and maintenance, corporate banking, building lease, capital purchases, and all required financial record keeping (i.e., investment records, audit reports, tax returns).
- Administers all Human Resources functions, including but not limited to bi-monthly payroll, recruitment and hiring, orientation, annual enrollments for health insurance and flexible spending account plans, retirement plan management, and benefit support to all staff.
- Maintains all employee files and payroll information, ensuring confidentiality and compliance with federal and local mandates.
- Serves as organizational liaison to outside vendors and contractors, including building management company, benefits providers, insurance brokers, merchant services companies, and payroll processing.
- Supervises the Finance and Administration Coordinator, Office Coordinator, and embedded accounting firm staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in business/finance/accounting; CAE a plus
- 5-8 years of management experience in finance, administration, and HR in a membership association or nonprofit environment
- Strong knowledge and practice of non-profit accounting principles and standards
- Experience with ecommerce required; experience with international commerce a plus
- Ability to effectively manage staff, as well as vendors and service providers
- Outstanding ability to analyze financial data, formulate projections, and identify trends
- Exceptional attention to detail, organization, customer service, and written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable integrity and trustworthiness, with an ability to handle sensitive information and situations effectively and confidentially
- Experience with benefits administration and compliance as well as other areas of HR compliance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 and Dynamics SL required, familiarity with SAGE Intaact, Bill.com, and Paychex Flex a plus
- Experience with Association Management Systems
- Strong interpersonal skills and a highly collaborative, communicative, flexible, positive, and proactive approach
Association for Psychological Science