Senior Administrative Specialist
- Posted: over a month ago
- $70,000 to $80,000 Yearly
The Senior Administrative Specialist is responsible for providing general administrative support and project management for the CEO and the Executive Office team. This includes day-to-day support for the CEO, Chief of Staff, Governance team and select VIP guests as needed. The ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, along with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities is also needed. The Senior Administrative Specialist must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities. This position supports the goals and mission of APIC. This position has high visibility and significant interaction with member volunteers, leaders, and partner organizations.
The Senior Administrative Specialist exemplifies APIC’s staff core values of Ownership, Unity, and Commitment.
This is a local position, local candidates are defined as a person having a legal residence in DC, MD, or VA and lives within 75 miles of our HQ in Arlington, VA.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
CEO Support (50%)
- Works directly with the CEO to provide support to all aspects of the daily work;
- Manages CEO’s day-to-day calendar; planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, speaking engagements, and travel;
- Conserves CEO’s time by reading, researching, and routing correspondence; drafting letters and documents; collecting and analyzing information, and processing expense reports;
- Assists in the development and distribution of meeting agendas attended by the CEO as needed;
- Reconciles monthly credit card and travel statements
Governance & Committee Support (30%)
- Serves as administrative support for Board Governance Committees;
- Develops and maintains accurate governance files and records as required to support the Executive Office function;
- Assist Executive Office staff with administrative tasks and special projects;
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; records of committee meetings
- Attends annual meeting as needed, providing direct support to the Executive Office;
General Executive Office Support (10%)
- Maintain and update Executive Office related pages on APIC’s website and intranet;
- Maintain confidence of the Executive Office and protects operations by keeping information confidential;
- Handles a variety of complex executive projects as assigned and coordinate others’ efforts to ensure timely deliverables;
- Track deadlines for completion of projects/tasks assigned by and/or to the Executive Office;
- Act as recording secretary upon request for various meetings by creating meeting minutes and action item follow-up lists;
- Maintain executive office supplies, anticipating needed supplies;
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing professional networks, participating in related professional societies.
VIP Board Event Planning (10%)
- Provides logistical support for Executive Office meetings, including face-to-face Board meetings and events as needed;
- Sources facilities, set-up of event space, arranges catering, and meetings both on and off-site
Knowledge and Skills required for the position:
- BS or BA or equivalent experience
- 5 years’ experience providing senior level administrative support, preferably in a non-profit setting
- 3-5 years’ experience providing project management support
- Experience working with VIP groups (ex. Board of Directors, Committees, Volunteers, etc.) preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, SharePoint) and database management systems. Experience with iMIS a plus but not required.
- Exceptional organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Knowledge of event management planning (including: pre/post and onsite logistics management), experience preparing requests for proposals for events, reviewing and interpreting hotel and catering contracts.
- Ability to type 60wpm.
- Self-management: Sets well-defined and realistic goals; takes initiative, monitors progress, and is motivated to achieve; manages own time and is able to successfully juggle multiple and/or competing priorities in an efficient and effective manner.
- Results oriented - ability to prioritize and work at fast pace and meet critical deadlines.
- Customer service -works and communicates with clients and customers to satisfy their expectations. Committed to quality service.
- Oral communication - ability to communicate information in a clear and concise manner with individuals at all levels, including: board members, member volunteers, association executives, government agency staff.
- Written communication -ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in writing.
- Confidentiality - ability to work with and maintain the confidentiality of data and information.
- Must be able to manage by influence.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
APIC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?