- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are seeking a Controller to direct and manage the accounting functions for APIC and its subsidiaries. Located in Crystal City/Arlington, VA, we offer a generous post-COVID telecommute policy. This position is open to applicants in MD, VA and DC within a 75-mile radius of Arlington, VA.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance, the Controller establishes and maintains the company’s overall account systems, procedures, and policies. The Controller has overall responsibility for the process, planning, and implementation of accounting operations, in coordination with staff and volunteer leaders. This position is a supervisory role and has budget oversight and responsibility.
The Controller supports the goals and mission of APIC and has high visibility and significant interaction with members, volunteers, vendors, leaders, and partner organizations. This leadership role reflects the key accountabilities of an APIC leader – embodies leadership qualities, drives high performance and engagement, builds effective systems and processes, and has a growth mindset. In addition, the Controller exemplifies APIC’s staff core values of Ownership, Unity, and Commitment.
Major Duties and responsibilities:
Financial Reporting (50%)
- Prepare and complete all month-end reporting.
- Ensure the accuracy and timely completion of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, staff expense reports, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, and collections.
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely record keeping of all transactions by implementing internal controls and SOPs for staff to follow.
- Monitor grant reporting and maintain clear reporting, tracking, and reconciliation of each.
- Oversee all bank, 401(k), 457(b), and merchant account activity.
- Review, reconcile, and process monthly credit card activity.
- Maintain and balance general ledger, including chart of accounts, segmentations, grant expenditures, and cost pools.
- Reconcile operating, restricted, inter-company, and subsidiary transactions through internal financial statements.
- Provide financial analysis to evaluate new initiatives, customer projects, programs, capital expenditures, product costing, etc. as necessary.
- Develop and issue monthly and quarterly financial reports for management, identifying, analyzing, and summarizing trends/information to aid management in business strategy and decision-making.
- Prepare and file all local, state, and federal tax returns in a timely manner.
- Prepare APIC’s 990.
Finance Committee Meeting prep (15%)
- Ensure draft financials are produced by assigned deadlines.
- Meet with department heads to discuss monthly results and future outlook.
- Prepare any other miscellaneous ad-hoc reports as necessary.
Staff customer service (15%)
- Serve as the SME for all staff customer service-related inquiries.
- Ensure staff customer service inquiries have an initial response within 24 hours in inquiry and ensure communication during the resolution process.
- Monitor and assign help desk tickets in Zen Desk.
- Provide weekly updates to the Vice President of Finance on customer staff customer service inquiries/issues.
- Prepare batches and submit bi-weekly payroll.
- Audit payroll for accuracy and compliance with related federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enter all related GL entries into APIC’s accounting software.
- Audit and submit any special payroll run such as annual increases, incentive payouts, payroll corrections, etc. as needed.
- Work closely with HR to ensure relevant payroll documentation is provided.
- Ensure all related payroll federal, state, and local taxes and reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Audit 5500 Report & other benefit related reports before HR files such reports.
Leadership & Operations (10%)
- Embody leadership qualities and serve as a role model for team and organization.
- Drive high performance and engagement.
- Build effective systems and processes.
- Be growth oriented.
- Actively monitor and measure operational progress and goal achievement.
Chapter Dues (5%)
- Manage and reconcile chapter dues and payments by the DATE of each month/week, etc.
- Work to resolve any discrepancies and disputes.
- Serves as the primary liaison to the Membership team regarding chapter dues.
Knowledge & Skills Required for the position
Skills and Abilities
- High-quality written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive with the ability to be resourceful and efficient and to maintain a high level of professionalism
- Strong decision-making ability and attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to establish priorities, manage multiple demands and projects, and meet deadlines
- Strong project management skills in a detail-oriented management environment with internal organizational and high-level volunteer relationships
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Ability to self-manage and juggle multiple priorities while meeting critical deadlines
- Commitment to deliver quality customer service
- Ability to work with and maintain the confidentiality of data and information
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- Minimum of ten years of experience running the day-to-day accounting and finance operations of an organization
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in leadership positions
- Extensive experience in developing and managing complex organizational and departmental budgets
- Experience supporting subsidiaries and organizational consolidated accounting procedures
- Extensive experience with GAAP and non-profit accounting
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel) and database management systems
- CPA or MBA preferred
APIC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Association for Professionals in Infection Control and