Director of Events & Management Education
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Director of Events and Management Education—Beltsville, Maryland
ABC of Metro Washington, a chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), is a trade association that represents the commercial construction industry. ABC of Metro Washington is the pre-eminent advocate for fair and open competition and the merit shop philosophy, and the premiere construction association in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.
The Director of Events and Management Education is an exciting opportunity to bring your entrepreneurial spirit, events planning, organizational, communication, creativity and revenue-generating strategies to ABC. This position is responsible for directing and managing a significant non-dues revenue program that includes delivering networking functions, special events, and educational programs to ABC members and the industry.
This position requires friendly collaboration with association volunteers and other staff members to deliver quality programming that brings value to and meets the needs of the construction industry.
ABC of Metro Washington is conveniently located near Montgomery, Prince George's and Howard counties. Easily accessible to ICC and I95.
Reports to President/CEO
Supported by shared administrative assistant.
As Director of Events and Management Education, your responsibilities include:
A. Direct ABC’s non-dues revenue activities:
• Develop and deliver industry-leading events for all facets of the association, and robust management education seminars and programs.
• Maintain close dialogue with member companies to understand their needs and align ABC’s offerings.
• Produce an annual plan that addresses members’ training and business development needs and achieves ABC’s financial goals.
• Direct the full life cycle of each program including venue and other contract negotiations; event registration; billing; materials preparation; onsite event management; and post-event evaluations, analysis, and close-out.
• Participate in the development and implementation of marketing strategies designed to promote, support and/or grow event and educational offerings and attendance.
• Effectively utilize technology to deliver services virtually when/if needed or requested.
• Promote the association’s programs in a positive and professional manner to members and other stakeholders.
B. General management and oversight of operations and finance:
• Prepare and manage annual budgets and regularly provide benchmarking, status and forecasting reports.
• Develop annual sponsorship packages and solicit donors for support.
• Create database records for all activities, tracking registration, payments, and outstanding invoices. Work with Controller on accounts receivable.
• Understand and manage billings and, when required, collections processes.
• Negotiate and review contracts before bringing to President for approval.
• Ensure compliance with all negotiated contracts for vendor/venue services.
C. Serve as staff liaison to the Programs, Management Education and Golf Outing Committees:
• Establish a clear understanding of the committees’ purpose and role in serving ABC members and the industry.
• Ensure that all record keeping of the committees is accurate and timely, including working with committee chairpersons in the preparation of meeting agendas and writing meeting minutes.
D. Standard staff responsibilities:
• Pursue and maintain personal contact with members, including member visits whenever possible. Customer service is essential.
• Represent the association at functions, which could necessitate hours beyond the normal business day.
E. Ancillary Responsibilities:
• Attend ABC’s monthly events and other chapter meetings and events as directed (occasional morning and monthly evening events). Position requires mainly local-area driving for events and meetings.
• Attend and participate in ABC National conferences, when/if assigned.
• Perform other business duties as assigned by the President.
· Chapter staff: Maintain a professional and collaborative relationship with other staff members that helps the Association achieve its goals and ensures a productive, collegial work environment.
· Chapter committees: Maintain a professional and ethical relationship that helps committees achieve their goals to the extent that staff and financial resources allow.
· Committee chairs: Establish and maintain rapport with committee chairs to ensure a smooth and productive working relationship.
· General membership: Respond professionally and promptly to inquiries or requests for help from members. Requests for services or assistance outside of the departments’ resources should be referred to the appropriate department or the President.
· Vendors: Maintain a professional and ethical relationship with those vendors that provide quality services and/or products, and competitive pricing, to ABC.
- Planning and managing business and personal schedules
- Preparing and managing budgets and financial transactions
- Handling customer relations
- Working with volunteers and committees
- Talking on telephone
- Speaking in public
- Operating computer
- Operating basic office equipment
- 11. Driving
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience
- Association or meeting planning background preferred.
- Construction experience/background helpful
Minimum Requirements/Performance Standards:
1. Excellent organizational, logistical and financial management skills.
2. Strategic and long-term planning capabilities.
3. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management.
4. Proficiency in negotiating contracts.
5. Proficiency in using virtual platforms (e.g., Zoom, Teams, Airmeet).
6. In-depth knowledge of the English language and grammar, including the ability to write comprehensive, legible sentences, correspondence, and other written communications.
7. Excellent reading comprehension skills.
8. Able to communicate (speaking and listening) to members, customers, and the general public.
9. World-class customer service experience and skills.
10. Highly professional and able to work well with staff members, volunteers, instructors and the public.
11. Professional appearance during working hours and business functions.
12. Must have own transportation to get to events and meetings.
The work environment within the office has a low to moderate noise level in a temperature-controlled building. Flexibility in changing tasks is required in order to be responsive to immediate member needs as they enter the office, call, or email their requests. The position requires driving in the local area and moderate amounts of time outside of the office attending meetings and/or events. Driving responsibilities include negotiating city, highway, and suburban roads year-round.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume.
Job description can be downloaded here: https://www.abcmetrowashington.org/About-Us/Career-Opportunities-at-ABC-of-Metro-Washington
Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington
6901 Muirkirk Meadows DriveBeltsville, MD
Arts and Entertainment
Get fresh Director Event jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.