Visitor Services Associate - Full or Part time
Aspen Art Museum Aspen, CO
- Posted: over a month ago
- $20 to $25 Hourly
General Purpose Statement
This position is the first point of contact for visitors to the museum and provides information about the museum, the exhibitions, education, and assistance to guests throughout their visit. This position assists our security department in protecting the museum, staff, and visitors against fire, theft, and accidents. The position is responsible for the successful daily operations of the visitor experience, including visitor services desk, selling museum memberships, reception assistance and security. This position must provide excellent customer service and a seamless operation of the guest experience at the museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome, greet, orientate, and direct guests. Create a highly positive experience for guests by proactively assessing guests’ needs, answer questions, offer guidance, and relay accurate information about the museum.
- Must be able to recognize and properly greet major supporters of the museum
- Have comprehensive knowledge of the museum building and its history
- Must be familiar with and able to discuss the exhibitions, current and upcoming, and with all other museum functions and programs, including public programs, special events, educational programs, etc.
- Be familiar and able to discuss the building’s physical layout including galleries, restrooms, Café, Sculpture Garden, exits, elevators, and key architectural features.
- Stay current with daily schedule of events; communicate relevant information to other staff and event hosts/leaders upon arrival at the museum.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and interface effectively with visitors in both conveying information and listening to their questions/concerns.
- As an active and visible leader, model how to achieve the AAM museum standards of service, welcome, engagement, and culture for all Guide Team Members.
- Answer and direct phone calls when needed to answer general questions about the museum, exhibitions, and public offerings.
- Collect visitor feedback and comments for Development and the Guide Manager
- Other duties as assigned by the Visitor Services Manager
- Assist Development with check-in for events
- Be able to work effectively with other frontline staff from the café, security, and museum store.
- Gently inform and remind visitors of security concerns (no touching, photography policy, no food or drinks, no large bags, no recording devices, etc.).
- When needed, have visitors place large bags and other objects inappropriate for the galleries in the coatroom.
- Ensure that the Museum’s rules and safety protocols are followed.
- Alert security personnel as needed to assure a safe environment for artwork and visitors.
- Assist in emergency situations with crowd control and evacuation.
- Sends routine correspondence to other staff members relaying visitor inquiries.
- Check in visitors with advance reservations and walk-ins. Record attendance and visitor contact info daily.
- Helps maintain inventory of printed materials and ensures signage is properly placed at the Visitor Services desk.
- Assist visitors with general local information (e.g., directions, cabs, places to eat).
- Sell and process museum memberships and be able to offer member benefit information.
- Ensure visitor entrance is thoroughly cleaned and presentable for the public.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to represent the museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to museum policies, and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and preserve confidential information.
- Act as a team player who works well with others and shows courtesy and respect to colleagues.
- Knowledge of AAM and department policies and procedures
- Ability to understand and follow standard operating procedures
- Knowledge of standard computer applications and programs, e.g., MS Office Suite
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, product information manuals, and instructions
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and team skills
- Ability to be a self-starter and motivated during down times
- Ability to have rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills both orally and in writing
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve complaints with tact and courtesy.
- Ability to be both friendly and authoritative
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a business environment, and enforcement procedures.
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamic event-driven environment
Requirements and Qualifications
High school diploma or GED with at least two years of customer service work experience preferably in security, guest or visitor interaction in a museum, art gallery, or related organization, or any other combination of experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
Hours and Work Schedule
This is an hourly position requiring flexible availability for weekend, evening, and holiday shifts. This position is nonexempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act and will receive overtime pay for all hours worked in excess of forty in a seven-day workweek.
Aspen Art Museum
GovernmentView all jobs at Aspen Art Museum