Front Desk Medical Receptionist
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
JOB TITLE: Front Desk Medical Receptionist
**4 Day Work Week, Free Parking**
**COVID Vaccination Required**
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Register patients upon arrival; collect payment from patients, schedule return appointments, and handle calls transferred from Call Center. Assist with scanning and filing medical documents in the electronic medical record.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Office Manager and Assistant Office Manager (if applicable).
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of motion including manual and finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination. Requires ability to use office equipment, consisting of photocopier, fax machine, computer, phone equipment, calculator, postage meter and scale. Requires prolonged sitting and standing as well as bending, stretching, and stooping. Must be able to lift 20 pounds. Requires ability to communicate with patients, physicians, and staff members. Requires ability to review history forms, insurance forms, and patient information. Requires ability to converse over the telephone clearly. Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in the reception area of the medical office. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with patients, people who are ill, their families, other medical groups, and vendors is required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all the duties assigned.)
General Reception Duties:
1. Answer incoming calls and direct calls effectively.
2. Schedule patient appointments for OAC and ARA including EMG, Ultrasound, Covid vaccines, Evusheld, and laboratory appointments.
3. Take messages for physicians and other staff members as required, task messages in the electronic medical record when necessary.
4. Check that proper information is in the electronic record before sending tasks or messages.
5. Introduce patients into the patient portal and issue a token so the patient may enroll.
6. Perform confirmation calls ARA, OAC, EMG, lab, and Ultrasound daily.
7. Review schedule for next day, check alerts for forms needed and actions to be completed. Create alerts in chart if needed. Check for multiple same day appointments (e.g., indicate if patient has both an office visit and an Infusion/Dexa/Ultrasound/EMG appointment). Check for future and/or duplicate
appointments. Check for scheduling errors (e.g., is patient scheduled to see the correct doctor, is the patient scheduled for the correct amount of time?).
8. Check Phreesia for appointment changes, needed referrals, and high deductible.
9. Check Phreesia appointment module for accuracy.
10. Assist with medical records, including filing and posting of scanned medical records in the electronic medical record.
11. Assist with obtaining medical records of new patients one week prior to appointment.
12. Obtain all patient and visitor temperatures. Indicate temperature on the Fee Ticket.
13. Sanitize front office and reception area throughout the day.
14. Generate and mail recall letters to patients weekly.
15. Generate Patient Balance Report for the next day collection activity.
16. Assist with check-out duties as needed.
17. Process Phreesia self-schedule patients. Contact patients and make corrections as needed.
18. Add patients to Luma wait list as needed.
19. Other Duties as Assigned: The assignment of duties to employees is not limited to the content of this job description. Other tasks and assignments may be related to the work usually assigned to the employee, but in some circumstances may be completely unrelated.
Check-in Desk Duties:
1. Check-in patient through Phreesia upon patient's arrival to office. Push Phreesia interview to patient as needed to complete check-in process.
2. Confirm that insurance is active in Phreesia. If insurance is unclear contact the eligibility team for insurance questions.
3. Provide patient with HAQ form if needed.
4. Check-in and create encounter in NextGen after Phreesia is complete. Confirm that demographics are complete. This includes ensuring proper insurance is attached to visit, that insurance card, Rx card, and driver's license are scanned into NextGen, and that appropriate paperwork is completed and signed if patient is new to the practice. If patient has completed Phreesia pre-check or in-office then financial agreement, registration, and patient history forms will be updated automatically.
5.Obtain and check for completeness of the registration forms from new and existing patients — if paper forms were used.
6.Obtain updates from patients as required (i.e., new insurance information, address changes, signature date).
7.Collect fees as determined by insurance company (i.e., co-pay and balance) for ARA, OAC, and Infusion (check alert for Infusion fees).
8.Address any issues or concerns regarding the patient based on requests by business office, physicians, or alerts on patient’s chart.
9. Print fee ticket. Indicate patient’s temperature on fee ticket. Notate any insurance restrictions (e.g., FELRA insurance does not allow labs in office) or high deductible.
10. Call patients who missed their appointment. At the end of the business day update the statuses and detail section of the appointment. Inform the Patient Service Representative to add charge on daily log for the Business Office to bill the patient.
11. Enter referrals into the patient's NextGen chart and give referral to medical records to scan and file in the electronic medical record, Call referring physician's office to request a referral, if patient does not have referral or it is outdated. Have patient sign Waiver if unable to obtain referral.
1. High School Diploma required.
2. College degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
1. One-year medical office experience as a medical receptionist preferred.
2. Computer experience required.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
1. Skill in greeting patients and answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
2. Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
3. Ability to read, understand, communicate, and follow oral and written instructions.
4. Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic and numeric system.
5. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
6. Basic knowledge of health insurance companies.
7. Basic knowledge of HIPAA requirements.
8. Skill in operating a computer, photocopier, fax machine, and postage meter.
9. Excellent interpersonal skills.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, physicians, and the public.
11. Ability to work in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
12. Ability to multitask and be detail oriented.
1. Obtain proper signatures before releasing records.
2. Follow all procedures and maintain high ethical standards.
3. Follow guidelines for maintaining patient confidentiality.
4. Understand and follow HIPAA requirements.
5. Demonstrate a strong commitment to honest and responsible corporate conduct.
6. Identify, report and/or prevent any fraudulent or unethical behavior.
7. Initiate notification to management if inappropriate behavior is observed within the organization.
HIPAA-Minimum Necessary Access to PHI
The responsibilities associated with this position allow access to the computer "role" of ARA Check In/Out only. We are committed to enforcing minimum necessary access to our patients' PHI by limiting the uses and disclosures of this information within our practice. In order for this employee to carry out his/her job (carry out TPO) in a manner that best serves our patients, the employee needs access to the afore mentioned computer "role". Role descriptions are explicitly defined in our HIPAA manual. Access to computer information is password protected. Upon termination of an employee, his/her password will be deleted from the system.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Arthritis & Rheumatism Associates, P.C.
8270 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive Suite 150Fairfax, VA
Get fresh Desk Receptionist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.