Under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse Supervisor, the Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (RN Charge) is in charge of clinic nursing services, to include nursing, on site laboratory, patient flow and compliance with agency policy, procedures and protocols, The Joint Commission (TJC) Ambulatory Care and Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) standards pertaining to nursing and clinical services; provides direct R.N. patient care services with the goal of providing quality nursing care to patients in a professional, compassionate and cost efficient manner.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for providing direct nursing patient care e.g., patient triage using triage protocol, takes patient vital signs, temperature, height and weight measurements, completes pain assessment, completes nursing assessments, nursing diagnosis, and nursing care plans based on nursing standards of care and agency protocol, monitors patients health status assists providers as needed and documents all nursing care in the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
2. Responsible for providing patient education, for providing patient counseling on the patient’s health care plan and for documenting accordingly in the patient’s EHR.
3. Responsible for the processing of patients through the clinic to achieve an optimum patient flow, for maintaining open communication with providers, nursing and other clinic staff, and for promoting efficient utilization of nursing/MA staff services.
4. Responsible for assuring assistance to patients with completing WIC vouchers and other health and human services forms.
5. Responsible for patient hospital/ER referral arrangements and tracking per providers order, and for maintaining the patient hospital/ER referral log, and directory current.
6. Responsible for maintaining the integrity of the emergency service Banyan Kit, and crash cart and O2 tanks and checks them daily, responsible for maintaining the integrity of the emergency drugs and supplies by means of documented routine inspection, per policy and protocol, and for maintaining the integrity of the medication cart and refrigerated medication and biologicals by means of documented routine inspection per policy and protocol.
7. Responsible for ordering inventory, for assuring adequate inventory and for proper storage, and safe keeping of medications, vaccines and clinic supplies.
8. Responsible for opening and closing clinic per policy and procedures, assures preparation of examination rooms and clinical area with e.g., required calibrated equipment, supplies and education materials for the provision of medical and nursing care by providers and nursing staff.
9. Responsible for reviewing and reporting bacteriological autoclave testing reports of Dental and Medical Clinics to the RN Supervisor and the sterilization of equipment as assigned by following safety and infection control policy and procedures.
10. Responsible for identifying, tracking, monitoring, and reporting all nosocomial infections, patients and/or personnel who have a reportable communicable disease, and any increased incidence of communicable diseases to the RN Supervisor.
11. Responsible for monitoring and reviewing Confidential Morbidity Reports (CMR) sent to Los Angeles County Department of Health Services.
12. Responsible for monitoring daily refrigerator temperature log to determine if documentation is within normal limits.
13. Responsible for reviewing and evaluating incident report findings and Needle Stick (Body Fluid Exposure) Reports.
14. Responsible for reviewing lab reports for infection findings.
15. Responsible for assuring that nursing and clinic quality control and risk management measures are implemented e.g., assures patient abnormal reports are reported to the providers and RN Supervisor and are appropriately followed up on assures patients are notified per policy, monitors and assures patient log assignments are followed-up on are documented in a timely manner and are kept current, assures compliance with patient safety, infection control and other nursing/clinic policy and procedure and standards.
16. Responsible for assisting the RN Supervisor with supervision of Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs), and Medical Assistants (MAs) at assigned Health Center sites, completes nursing/MA performance evaluations, assists the RN Supervisor with assuring RNs, LVNs, and MAs are properly trained and knowledgeable and have the competent skills in order to provide quality patient care within their scope of practice.
17. Responsible for assisting physicians and mid-level providers with pelvic examinations and minor procedures following informed consent, time-out, infection control and other related policy and procedure
18. Responsible for preparing daily nursing staff schedule and assignments and assures they are visible and communicated to nursing/MA staff, identifies and reports nursing staff needs to the RN Supervisor.
19. Performs nursing electronic health record (EHR) documentation reviews to assure compliance with EHR documentation policy and procedures.
20. Responsible for attending TJC webinars and for attending clinic meetings as assigned by the R.N. Supervisor, keeps the R.N. Supervisor informed of situations which warrant immediate attention, and submits daily nursing morning and end of shift reports to the R.N. Supervisor.
21. Responsible for assisting the R.N. supervisor with maintaining an updated Nursing Policy and Procedure Manual, for monitoring implementation of approved policies and procedures, for assuring compliance with Title 22, State Licensing and Certification Regulations, TJC Ambulatory Care and PCMH, and HIPAA standards pertaining to nursing and clinic services.
22. Responsible for following all Agency safety and health standards, regulations, procedures, policies, and practices.
23. Responsible for actively participating in the Improving Organization Performance Program to include e.g., The Joint Commission, Patient Care Medical Home, Infection Control Program, Safety Program, Emergency Preparedness and Annual Skills Competency Training program.
24. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Graduate of an approved Accredited School of Nursing
2. Current California R.N. License
3. Current CPR Certificate
4. Six (6) months clinical nursing experience (new graduate RN’s considered).
5. Computer literate and familiarity of Electronic Health Records.
6. Bilingual (English/Spanish), and familiarity with the Hispanic culture preferred.
7. Ability to work well with others in a professional team-oriented environment.
8. Access to an automobile and valid California driver’s license and state mandated automobile insurance.
9. Work schedule to include evenings, overtime, and weekends as needed.
Arroyo Vista will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories.