Day Camp Manager - Schoolhouse of Wonder
- Expired: February 03, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Do you love the idea of turning your summer camp experience into a long-term, year-round career? Are you looking for a balance of running your own day camp program while receiving incredible mentorship, professional development opportunities, and a leadership role in an award-winning nonprofit? Is your superpower the ability to partner energy with patience and responsibility with fun? Do you have a passion for inspiring others to be their best selves?
You might be the next Day Camp Manager for Schoolhouse of Wonder!
Schoolhouse of Wonder is looking for experienced and dedicated staff who are passionate about their work, who are committed to Schoolhouse's mission and values, and who value diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A Day Camp Manager is an important leader and member of the field team. They help create and manage magical and impactful outdoor day camps for children ages 5-12 and teens 13-17. A Day Camp Manager works year-round to plan and prepare camp programs, hire and train staff, and lead camp through the spring, summer, fall, and winter seasons. This position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of our Wake County camp locations including managing seasonal and year-round staff members and multiple camper groups.
What will you do as Schoolhouse of Wonder's next Day Camp Manager?
- Set the standard by modeling Schoolhouse's values, methodologies, policies, and procedures, including creating a safe environment.
- Be a leader. Coach and support staff to organize the games, tell the stories, and manage their groups. Use and model appropriate child-centered behavior management techniques. Create a culture of safety, growth, and fun.
- In partnership with your staff, create and deliver high-quality, exciting, nature-based activities and camp schedules.
- Safeguard the physical, emotional, and intellectual safety of participants. Model Schoolhouse values of empathy, respect, and wonder. Patiently process conflict and disagreements.
- Lead staff through trainings, mentorship, giving and receiving feedback, modeling behavior, and creating a culture of individual and organizational growth.
- Set an excellent example in teaching and behavior management methods, work ethic, and attitude.
- Communicate with participants, their families, other Schoolhouse staff, and park partners. Create established lines of communication built on trust and empathy.
- Participate in all aspects of programs. Actively engage participants and deliver consistent and exceptional supervision.
Why Schoolhouse of Wonder?
Founded in 1989, Schoolhouse of Wonder's mission is to create kind, curious, and confident kids through nature-based outdoor adventures. We seek to achieve this mission through year-round, outdoor day camps, curriculum-aligned field trips, and leadership training for teenagers.
These core values guide our behavior and help us make decisions:
- We model and teach self-awareness andempathy
- We celebrateindividuality; Different is just different
- Everyone deserves to be witnessed, heard andrespected
- In nature, we're all students
- Life should be filled with adventures and a sense ofwonder
- We send every kid home dirty, tired andhappy
Our programming occurs on the ancestral, traditional, and contemporarylandof the Eno, Lumbee, Sappony, Shakori, Occaneechi, and Tuscarora peoples.
Want to know more? Visit Schoolhouse of Wonder's website at https://schoolhouseofwonder.org/.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought in the Day Camp Manager
- A commitment to Schoolhouse's mission, values, policies, and procedures
- A college degree in a relevant field of study (Environmental Studies, Child Development, Outdoor Education), or equivalent combination of education and experience, a minimum of four years
- A passion for and experience in outdoor program development and delivery
- At least 1-3 years of experience working with children and teens, managing staff, and leading a similar nature-based youth program
- Exceptional mentoring skills, including effective communication, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, positive attitude, and patience
- Great verbal, interpersonal, and listening communication skills
- The desire to contribute to a cooperative, team-oriented work atmosphere as well as the ability to work independently and follow through on tasks with minimal supervision, take initiative, and solve problems
- The ability and willingness to accept and effectively act on feedback and guidance
The following are not required, but preferred:
- Teaching experience including experiential or inquiry-based learning techniques
- Knowledge and interest in environmental education, the cultural history of the Southeast, storytelling, behavior management, and/or child development
- Experience or training in socio-emotional learning, trauma-informed care, or play-based learning
- Skill-based training or certifications (Lifeguarding, EMT, WFR, etc.)
- English/Spanish bilingual fluency
This position requires:
- Up-to-date COVID-19 Vaccination or exception with verification
- Current pediatric and adult CPR and First Aid certification by the first day of work (American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety and Health Institute)
Think you are the next Schoolhouse of Wonder Day Camp Manager?
To apply, click on the link to the Day Camp Manager position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $43,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Schoolhouse of Wonder provides 100% paid health insurance, a professional development stipend, an annual gear stipend, paid time off, paid holidays, and participation in Schoolhouse of Wonder the retirement plan. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt, "at will" position that reports to the Program Director.
Qualified women, minorities, and bilingual candidates (English/Spanish) are encouraged to apply. We are fully invested in creating a supportive environment for all marginalized groups including women, people of color, and LGBT+ people by promoting community collaboration within our organization.
Schoolhouse of Wonder is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.Share Apply Apply for this position Required * First Name* Last Name* Email Address* Phone* Resume* We've received your resume. Click here to update it. Attach resume or Paste resume Attach resume as .pdf, .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, or .rtf (limit 5MB) or Paste resume
Paste your resume here or Attach resume fileCover Letter* Who referred you to this position? Enter their first and last name here.* Are you 18 years of age or older?* No answerYesNo What languages do you speak fluently? Desired salary* Earliest start date?* In 150 characters or fewer, tell us what makes you unique. Try to be creative and say something that will catch our eye!* 150 References: Please enter names and contact information:* Upload your Cover Letter as a PDF.* Do you have an up-to-date COVID-19 Vaccination or exception with verification?* Yes No Schoolhouse of Wonder requires current pediatric and adult CPR and First Aid certification by the first day of work. We accept certifications from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI). Do you have or are you willing to obtain these certifications?* The following questions are entirely optional. To comply with government Equal Employment Opportunity and/or Affirmative Action reporting regulations, we are requesting (but NOT requiring) that you enter this personal data. This information will not be used in connection with any employment decisions, and will be used solely as permitted by state and federal law. Your voluntary cooperation would be appreciated. Learn more. GenderDecline to answerFemaleMale Race/EthnicityDecline to answerHispanic or LatinoWhite, not Hispanic or LatinoBlack or African-American, not Hispanic or LatinoAsian, not Hispanic or LatinoNative Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, not Hispanic or LatinoAmerican Indian or Alaskan Native, not Hispanic or LatinoTwo or More Races, not Hispanic or Latino Submit Application
AddressWake County, NC
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at Armstrong McGuire
Get fresh Summer Day jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.