Chief Operations Officer, Stop Soldier Suicide
Armstrong McGuire & Associates Durham, NC
- Posted: over a month ago
Veterans and service members are at 50% higher risk of suicide than their peers who haven’t served. Since 2001, 114,000+ veterans have died by suicide. Without change, by 2030, 60,000 more lives will be lost. The problem is clear: The systems in place aren’t working; the status quo is no longer acceptable.
We’re not your typical nonprofit. We’re the only national, veteran-founded-and-led nonprofit focused solely on military suicide prevention. We use data insights, best-in-class technology, commercial marketing best practices and evidence-based services to find and serve veterans at acute risk for suicide.
What started as three veterans answering a toll-free number in 2010 has grown into an innovative, agile and data-driven tone-setter that’s leading change, building community and, most importantly, saving lives. Our vision is a nation where veterans and service members have no greater risk for suicide than any other American; our line in the sand is to reduce the military suicide rate by 40% by 2030, saving 2,400+ lives per year. We work tirelessly to make it a reality and we’re growing rapidly (doubling staff, doubling revenue YoY) to meet increased demand and opportunities to save more lives.
Learn more about our vision, theory of change, and our team by visiting https://stopsoldiersuicide.org/.THE OPPORTUNITY
To accomplish the mission, it’s vital that we have an exceptional team. Mediocrity isn’t an option. Reporting to the CEO and based in Raleigh-Durham, NC, the Chief Operations Officer ensures the on-time delivery of services, product and solutions needed to achieve the mission. The ideal candidate is a quick learner, execution-oriented, and has a strong technical background with experiences leading business operations, human resources, and financial management activities, and demonstrates outstanding project management skills. An expert in current operations, the successfully COO is deep in the details of today so the CEO can focus on the vision and path for the future.
The Chief Operations Officer should thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment where our passion for our mission fuels all that we do. Successful candidates will model Stop Soldier’s Suicide’s True North competencies: Courage, Impact, Innovation, Judgment, Agility, and Inclusion.
The Chief Operations Officer will be entrusted with the following key responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the SSS Executive Leadership team in all areas of the organization to include developing annual and multi-year plans/strategies, budgets, and performance management processes.
- Oversee all aspects of SSS business operations, including human resources (HR), information technology (IT), financial management and accounting, legal compliance, facility and infrastructure services, and insurance.
- Combine knowledge of business, data trends, business systems, and capabilities to anticipate issues and develop appropriate plan tactics to maximize opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Coordinate the execution of strategic initiatives with the ability to drive all projects and manage the organization roadmap from start to finish to ensure timelines are met, project challenges are addressed, and regular updates are provided to both project teams and CEO.
- Inspire, lead, and manage across the business, working with the CEO to empower, engage, and develop all teammates and areas within the organization.
- Manage internal operations staff and interface with external vendors as required to achieve organizational goals.
- Maintain professional knowledge through continuing education, professional publications, personal networks, and participation in related professional development opportunities and activities.
- Develop policies, processes, and other infrastructure that efficiently and reliably achieve the results the organization cares about.
- Identify, respond to, and execute other duties as assigned or required to ensure organizational success.
- Master’s degree in Business or a related field preferred.
- Extensive relevant experience leading business operations functions in a fast-paced, technology-centric environment.
- Lead and Develop Others: Is a team builder who connects with staff both on an individual level and in group settings; develops and empowers other to perform and provides coaching and support that positions others for success; helps others achieve their full potential and inspires teammates to achieve more than they thought was possible.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multiple complex initiatives simultaneously.
- Technical orientation with an understanding of and experience with applying technology to streamline processes and gain efficiencies.
- Strong ethical judgment and the ability to effectively respond and work with a variety of situations and individuals, responding to each situation in a way that gains trust and respect.
- Ability to anticipate the organization’s needs in advance.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills to deliver consistent, clear, and purposeful messages and information from executive-level reporting to teammate communications.
- Creativity and confidence in presenting ideas and communicating information.
The Chief Operations Officer is responsible for meeting the following OKRs:
- Meet and continuously improve SSS operational strategic goals and tactical objectives on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Monitor and report to the CEO and Board of Directors on organizational activities, accomplishments, challenges/barriers, and opportunities for improvement.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Program Officer in the development, implementation, and measurement of the SSS Business Plan.
Impact: Consistently delivers quality results; demonstrates a passion for winning, strong work ethic, a bias for action and commitment to achieving life-saving work with integrity, honesty, and in accordance with our values.
Judgment: Makes data-based decisions with decisiveness, balancing short-term and long-term considerations and ensuring decisions advance the SSS mission.
Innovation: Identifies and champions new ideas, continuous improvements, and transformative solutions that enable us to better achieve our mission of serving service members and veterans.
Courage: Communicates with candor and transparency and demonstrates the confidence to make tough decisions, take smart risks, and question actions that are inconsistent with our values.
Agility: Continuously learns and adapts to obstacles, setbacks or uncertainty with tenacity and resolve; embraces change and challenges as opportunities to learn new skills and grow.
Inclusion: Win as one by demonstrating unwavering respect for teammates, freely sharing information, collaborating with and supporting your colleagues, and leveraging differences that make us stronger.WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The majority of the work required is performed in an office environment (a blend of virtual and office in light of COVID-19) with occasional work-related travel and activities outside the office. The employee must be able to effectively maneuver within the office area and perform essential functions necessary to perform the job duties and meet the OKRs described in this Job Description.SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Stop Soldier Suicide offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees that includes personal time off, parental leave, military leave (as applicable), medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long-term disability benefit, Employee Assistance Program, and a matching retirement plan.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with Stop Soldier Suicide. To apply, upload a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or through third-party sites.
Stop Soldier Suicide is committed to non-discriminatory employment practices that are fully compliant with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including making reasonable accommodations for its disabled employees as set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Powered by JazzHR
Armstrong McGuire & Associates
BusinessView all jobs at Armstrong McGuire & Associates