Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Dental Hygienist ================
Armed Forces Retirement Home
- ##### Open & closing dates
08/22/2019 to 09/06/2019
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
$52,068 to $67,687 per year
- ##### Appointment type
Permanent - Full-time
- ##### Work schedule
Full-Time - Career/Career Conditional
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington, DC 1 vacancy
##### Relocation expenses reimbursed
##### Telework eligible
- Duties ------
Located in the Dental Clinic, Health Care Services (HCS), Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH), Washington DC, this position provides clinical and educational services to meet the oral dental health needs of the AFRH Residents.
Learn more about this agency
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement **19-AFRH-122.** Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
As a GS-08 Dental Hygienist, you will:
- Administer oral prophylactic and dental hygiene treatment to Residents presenting a variety of abnormal conditions. Perform additional procedures such as; records medical and dental histories, reviews Resident dietary habits, administers cavity prevention agents, desensitizes root surfaces, root planning and instructs Residents in home care therapy and proper diet as it relates to oral health. - Implement preventive dentistry program, as required. The program is designed to provide comprehensive oral health education and dental hygiene treatment to AFRH Residents with assistance from Dental Clinic staff and the nursing staff throughout AFRH. - Plan, coordinate, and conduct preventive oral health programs for various Resident groups including but not limited to diabetic, cancer, psychiatric, geriatric, cognitive decline, and physically handicapped Residents. Develop and revise oral health instructional materials and educational techniques for varied levels of the cognitive and physical capabilities of each Resident group. Using resources available within AFRH and materials acquired from research, professional dental associations, and schools of dental hygiene, develop and present oral health lectures, demonstrations, and visual displays to Resident groups and AFRH personnel. Develop procedural instructions to be used by dental hygienists, and the nursing staff in the delivery of oral health care to Residents. - Develop methods and carries out studies, as required, for evaluating the effectiveness of the preventive dentistry program. Modify subject matter content and instructional methods according to the results of evaluation data and new developments in the field of dental hygiene. Compile statistical data and written reports of the participation in the preventive dentistry program. - Process dental instruments for sterilization in accordance with TJC standards, facility policies and procedures. Maintain current knowledge and skills regarding sterilization techniques.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment." - Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying. - Public Trust background investigation will be required.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
**Physical Requirements: ** The work requires long periods of sitting, standing, recurring bending and reaching during clinical procedures. Excellent manual dexterity is also required. Adequate vision with or without loupes is required. A pre-employment physical is required.
**Licensure:** An active and current Dental Hygienist license in a state or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia.
**Specialized Experience:** For the GS-08, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
Performing prophylactic care**; AND **Developing dental hygiene plans**; AND **Preparing and conducting educational lectures; **AND **Providing demonstrations on oral health care.
### Additional information
\- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. - This is a bargaining unit position.
**CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT**: - A one year probationary period may be required.** **- Must successfully complete a background investigation. - Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency - If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so. - Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer. - Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. - Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position. - Pass a pre-employment physical examination. An OF-178, Certificate of Medical Examination will be required if selected for this position. **DO NOT SUBMIT AT TIME OF APPLICATION. - **Selectees will be subject to the AFRH Tuberculosis Surveillance Program.** **- Wear required safety clothing and/or equipment required by the position. This may include gloves, masks, etc.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your r?sum?, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your r?sum? includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your r?sum? may result in a "not qualified" determination.
**Rating**: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Attention to Detail, Technical, Education and Training, and Communication. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Outstanding, Excellent, or Qualified, depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
**Referral**: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
**To preview questions please click here.**
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
- Required Documents ------------------
**A complete application includes 1. A r?sum?, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. ** Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
**All applicants are required to submit a r?sum?** either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your r?sum?. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your r?sum? to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view r?sum? tips.
**VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION:** If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation. In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
**Licensure: ** Applications must be accompanied by 1) a certified copy or photocopy of the license, 2) a notarized statement attesting to the fact, or 3) a citation of the license number and State issuing it. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond the probationary period if licensure has not been attained.
**CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION**: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Benefits --------
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Our comprehensive benefits are very generous. Our benefits package includes:
- Challenging work, opportunities for advancement, competitive salaries, bonuses and incentive awards. - Ten paid holidays, 13 days of sick leave, and 13 to 26 days of vacation time each year. - Access to insurance programs that may be continued after you retire. - A wide choice of health insurance plans, coverage for pre-existing conditions, and no waiting periods. We pay a substantial amount (up to 75%) of the health insurance premiums. - A retirement program which includes employer-matching contributions. - Learn more about Federal benefits programs at: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay\_and\_Benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply ------------
*AFRH has partnered with the Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service to provide certain personnel services to its organization. Fiscal Service's responsibilities include advertising vacancies, accepting and handling applications, and extending job offers.
*The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date.
AFRH provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
**To begin**, either click the "Create a New Account" button and follow the prompts to register or if you previously registered, click the "Apply Online" button and follow the prompts.
You will be re-directed to AFRH's CareerConnector system to complete your application process; answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, click one of the available options; Upload; Fax; or Reuse existing documents. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN). Also, go to "My Account" to view and update your information, as necessary.
**To complete**, you must click the "Finish" button located at the bottom of the "Application Review" page.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the **Application Status** link and then select the **more information** link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click **Update Application** in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
**If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at email@example.com and/or the USAJOBS Help Desk.**
For additional information on how to apply, please visit the Partnership for Public Service's Go Government website.
### Agency contact information
### Applicant Call Center
AFRH See "How to Apply" Parkersburg, West Virginia 26106 United States
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
To check the status of your application for this position, please follow these steps:
1. Login to your USAJOBS account, select the "Applications" section and click on the vacancy you would like to view and have already applied for. 2. Under "application status," click "additional application information" and you will be taken to the CareerConnector website where you can check your application status. The "additional application information" link may not be available if your application status says "Unavailable." This indicates that your application is not complete.
- Fair & Transparent ------------------
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability - Social security number request - Privacy Act - Signature and false statements - Selective Service - New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/543504800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Get fresh Hygienist Dental jobs daily straight to your inbox!