Group Exercise Instructor- North YMCA
Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA Arlington, TX
- Posted: over a month ago
Group Exercise Instructor
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Group Exercise Instructor at the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA serves others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them and inviting them to get involved and give back to the community.
OUR CULTURE: Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Creates a safe environment in which all individuals feel welcomed and respected; builds relationships with and among members and program participants.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, that align with the healthy living program goals and objectives.
- Understands different health needs; observes and adjusts approach to support all participants' capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Asks and answers questions and displays empathy in support of helping member and program participants build confidence to achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Identifies and celebrates the successes of members and program participants.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Uses appropriate music, tempo, and selection that are in line with the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and faith.
- Inspects equipment and exercise class space to ensure proper operation, safety, and cleanliness.
- Communicates YMCA policies, programs and event information to class participants
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Attends all staff meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Obtains a substitute instructor when needed
- All other duties as assigned
- Developing Self & Others
- Program/Project Management
- Must be at least 18 years of age; high school diploma or GED required.
- National certification in group fitness instruction (e.g., ACE, ACSM, AEA, NETA, AFAA, NASM, NSCA, FIT TOUR, COOPER INSTITUTE; for Water Aerobics, AEA, ASFA, AQUATIC FITNESS PROFESSIONAL) or YMCA group exercise instructor certification required.
- Current certification in specialty/area of expertise required.
- Successfully pass YMCA audition to demonstrate exceptional knowledge and competency as an instructor.
- Related degree or relevant experience preferred.
- Obtain and remain compliant with any and all standards assigned by YMCA of the USA.
- At least one year of experience teaching group exercise classes preferred.
- Ability to teach a variety of class formats preferred.
- Flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends is a plus.
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- CPR/AED/O2/First Aid certifications and Child Abuses Prevention, Anti-Harassment, Blood Borne Pathogens, Hazard Communication Awareness, and Slips, Trips, and Falls trainings required within 30 days of hire.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA