3D CAD CAM Form Shop Manager
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
3D CAD/CAM Form Shop Manager
West Chicago, IL
- ACS Management Group, LLC is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join the CAD/CAM department within our Architectural Cast Stone manufacturing company.
- This is a permanent, full-time position that offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, the opportunity to work with nationally and internationally recognized architects, and an opportunity to contribute to iconic architectural projects across the country.
- ACS Management Group is an established bespoke architectural furnishings job-shop creating high-end precast and cast-stone products in West Chicago. We have been involved in hundreds of high-profile, award-winning architectural projects throughout the country, including the Navy Pier in Chicago, the Notre Dame School of Architecture in South Bend, Indiana, and Piers 54 and 55 on the Hudson River in Manhattan. We are carving a niche as the premium source of innovation and technical ability within the industry.
- We currently use a 4-axis CNC router mill and 5-axis CNC hot-wire cutters to create both simple geometric and complex organic forms from expanded polystyrene foam, plywood, castable polyurethane, and a variety of other materials.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
This is a multi-faceted position involving CAD work, CNC machining, administrative work, and promotional and educational components.
- Oversee a two- or three-person CAD/CAM department within an Architectural Cast Stone manufacturing company. The department head will be responsible for the daily operation of the department, including employee hiring, training, and supervision, material and tool inventories, and machine maintenance.
- Manage the workflow in a fast-paced, deadline driven department.
- Set, utilize, and maintain company design and documentation standards.
- Oversee all form design and fabrication work, assigning and delegating project specific tasks and needs to members of the department team.
- Interface with the Plant Manager and other department heads to ensure the timely and efficient completion of projects.
- General administrative duties pertaining to the tracking of form production progress.
- Participate in internal project review meetings as coordinated by the engineering and/or sales departments. Provide relevant documentation, modeling, graphics, etc. according to company standards and project requirements.
- Participate in external project review meetings with architects, landscape architects, contractors, and various tradespeople as necessary to advance projects from the design stage through to manufacturing.
- Create and/or modify 3D CAD (Rhino) models, from 2D architectural drawings and/or client-provided CAD models in a variety of formats.
- Apply advanced CAD modeling techniques and acquired knowledge of cast stone pouring practices to resolve practical fabrication problems and increase efficiencies throughout the plant.
- Provide relevant documentation, modeling, graphics, etc. according to company standards and project requirements.
- Consult with various in-house department supervisors and skilled workers to achieve the best possible manufacturing outcomes.
- Compile CAD, photographic, and video documentation of noteworthy projects and processes for future training and promotional use.
- Compile visually cohesive, engaging presentations for use by yourself and/or other internal departments in outreach presentations to potential and existing architects, contractors, and other interested parties.
In addition to the above-mentioned managerial duties, the successful applicant will, when possible, contribute to the day-to-day output of the form shop, generally on the most complex and challenging projects. These duties will include:
- Create efficient form layout for 2D CNC wirecutting in CAD (Rhinoceros 3D).
- Applicant will be responsible for reading and interpreting 2D drawings and creating CAD files for the production of 3D extrusions on a CNC wirecutter, taking into account material constraints, machining constraints, finishing constraints, and pouring constraints.
- CNC wirecutting of foam billets.
- Draw appropriate complex 3D negatives from 2D drawings or 3D computer models.
- Section complex 3D negatives into manufacturable parts for 3D CNC wirecutting or CNC machining, as appropriate, taking into account material constraints, machining constraints, finishing constraints, and pouring constraints.
- Toolpath individual parts for CNC machining in Mastercam.
- CNC wirecutting and CNC machining of various materials to create complex 3D forms.
- Assembly of complex 3D forms in a variety of materials.
- General shop duties such as clean-up, foam recycling, foam billet unloading, etc.
- 3D scanning of architectural artifacts using a hand-held white-light scanner.
- Manipulation of 3D mesh scans into manufacturable 3D CAD models.
- Design of efficient molds for 2-part polyurethane pours to facilitate master’s production.
- Pouring of 2-part polyurethanes and subsequent machining of masters for rubber form production.
- Proficiency in Rhino3D (preferred). Proficiency in Fusion360, Solid Works, AutoCAD, or similar CAD software will be considered.
- Knowledge of Revit, BIM, and the transference of information between Revit and Rhino will be given preferential consideration.
- Experience programming and operating a 3-axis panel router or similar CNC machine.
- Experience machining a variety of soft panel materials including extruded polystyrene and plywood will be given preferential consideration.
- Knowledge of Mastercam will be an asset, although knowledge of similar tool pathing packages (Delcam, RhinoCam, etc.) will be considered.
- Experience with mold making, including an understanding of parting lines, undercuts, and draft angles will be an asset.
- Those with experience in architectural furnishings will be given preferential consideration.
- Solid 3D spatial relations skills are a must.
- We are a cast stone manufacturer, and therefore you will often be tasked with creating three-dimensional negatives into which a positive will be poured. In most cases, you will be working from two-dimensional drawings of positives.
- Strong basic math skills (addition, multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals)
- Strong basic computer skills (Windows)
- CAD rendering experience will be an asset.
- 3D scanning experience will be an asset.
- Photo and video editing skills will be an asset.
- Experience creating cohesive presentations and presenting in a professional environment will be an asset.
- Good organization skills: Ability to multitask in a schedule-driven environment with the ability to maintain accuracy.
- General shop skills including the use of table saws and chop saws.
- Some type of carpentry / machining / shop experience.
- Flexible to change, and able to multitask and shift project direction based on customer needs and deadlines.
- Good work ethic.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to take direction.
- Willingness to learn.
- Attention to detail.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods, stand for extended periods, or, more frequently, a combination of sitting and standing. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
- The employee will be required to move, by forklift, polystyrene billets weighing up to 250 lbs. Polystyrene billets also need to be shifted and positioned by hand once on the work surface. Help will be available for moving and positioning particularly heavy materials.
- US$77,500 – US$95,000 per year, depending on qualifications and experience.
- Paid Time Off
- 8 paid holidays
- Medical insurance
- Company paid basic life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Voluntary benefits: dental, short-term disability, permanent life insurance, term life insurance, critical illness insurance, accident insurance
- Annual variable pay bonus
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the job and the general nature and level of work to be performed. This description is not to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. ACS Management Group, LLC is an equal employment opportunity workplace.
Holding both the APA & CSI certifications and with approvals from numerous agencies (DOTS, PBS, NYCSA, CPS, MTA, etc.), ACS can guarantee both the quality of its products and the efficiency of its processes thereby helping to ensure the cost effectiveness and success of your project.
Architectural Cast Stone
AddressWest Chicago, IL
Get fresh CAM Integrated Solutions jobs daily straight to your inbox!