To support Mortuary and Care Center by performing all activities required to correctly and respectfully embalm a deceased loved one.
Under the general supervision of the Care Center Manager, the Care Center Specialist cares for deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks included below. In addition to the embalming duties, this position may perform various services and client relations activities, while establishing and maintaining effective communication efforts with mortuary office administrative staff, parish priests and mortuary officials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
- Verifying identification and embalming authorization
- Performing restorations.
- Completing removals and transfers.
- Dressing, styling hair and/or applying cosmetics.
- Any other preparation required for human remains.
- Adheres to all applicable professional, municipal, state/provincial and federal licensing authority regulations.
- Promotes a safe work environment being aware of and practicing universal precautions and adopting general principals of safe conduct.
- Assists with the maintenance of preparation room and the facility.
- Cleans soiled equipment and hazardous material spills.
- Ensures hazardous materials and spills are handled in accordance with the Material Data Safety Sheets.
- Assists with chemical and supply inventory
- Receives caskets and other funeral home supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- At all times comply with company policies, procedures and instructions.
- Contribute to improving the business and enhancing the reputation of the company by putting forward new ideas and by implementing change when requested.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
- Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
- High School Diploma required (Bachelor’s Degree preferred).
- Graduation from an accredited mortuary college or other degree as required by state law.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as an Embalmer, Apprentice in a 200-call minimum/year funeral firm embalming facility.
- Must meet all licensing requirements in applicable state as required by law as prescribed by each state board.
- Valid state issued driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must be able to read and interpret Mortuary policies, procedures, contracts and customer files such as interment right records.
- Provide excellent customer service skills by responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, co-workers or members of the business community.
- Effectively present information to patron family members, co-workers and management.
- Ability to follow multiple pending requests through to completion.
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects.
- Ability to concentrate and complete moderately complex forms.
- Work independently with initiative and little supervision.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of Christian Burial in the Catholic Church.
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and diplomacy.
- Ability to express or exchange information by means of the spoken word.
- Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
- Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Requires ability to frequently lift or move objects in excess of 50 pounds.
- Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates must fill out an application, which can be found on the Archdiocese website at:
The completed application must be submitted, along with a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit the email with the following subject line:
Your First & Last Name, Position, Location
Calvary Mortuary, Los Angeles
3424 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90010
Archdiocese of Los AngelesOur mission is to live and reflect the core values that flow from our mission statement -- to serve others with Christian dignity and respect, to demonstrate a commitment to community, and to collaborate with one another in ministry.