Machine Shop Manager
Applied Materials Kalispell, MT
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: medical, vision, 401k, dental
The Machine Shop Manager oversees long-term machine selections, capacity forecasting, and head count management to support both volume machining and R&D. A successful candidate blends their technical capabilities with essential managerial tactics to drive parts on time, to print, and at competitive costs. We are poised for exponential growth and are seeking to further our world class capabilities by adopting cutting edge industry practices and leveraging the next technology nodes. A successful candidate would have experience with rapid product development for the tech sector, modern machine technologies, virtual machine monitoring & scheduling, quick change overs, and sound people management skills.
The machine shop is a business-critical department within a captured fabrication facility solely supporting Applied Materials in supplying high IP and critical complementary to various global business units. Specific expertise is in machining tight tolerance in high end engineered and fluoropolymer plastics, along with high purity metals. The shop currently consists of 70+ CNC machines and multiple shifts totaling 35+ machinist supporting both volume and R&D capabilities. CNC Machines include various palatized horizontal & vertical mills, multi axis lathes, 5 axis mills, wire EDM, water jet, flat lasers, etc.
- Align programming and manufacturing planning to machine capabilities
- Develop standard tool lists across products
- Incorporating modular fixturing to reduce setups
- Implement digital part manufacturing plans by using job preplanning initiatives across contributors
- Tool Crib Management
- Use of common tooling to support stocking strategies
- Develop Kanban, supplier vending, and inventory management
- Catalog/ check out systems for fixturing and dedicated tooling
- Strategize Equipment and Capacity needs
- Using sound ROI reporting; routinely suggest equipment requirements based on changing product base & changes in machine technology nodal advances in order to increase throughput & reduce ownership expense
- Provide head count requirements & cross train to anticipate product fluctuations
- Develop, reorganize, and introduce lean practices to create nimble cellular machine architectures that compliment changing product bases
- Leverage machine spindle monitoring technology and implement OEE
- Develop in process inspection strategies and moving to more antonymous methods
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 10+ years machining experience
- Demonstrated high-quality management experience
- 5+ years leadership experience in similar size or larger facility (+$10M revenue)
- Demonstrated implementation and incorporation of new technologies on the floor
- Firm understanding of ERP/MRP processes
- Extensive knowledge in GD&T and associated quality inspection systems.
- Ability in Data Analytics & Problem solving
- 4 & 5-axis CNC machine operation experience
- Associates degree in Machining Technology
- B.S. degree in relevant engineering discipline or B.A. degree in Business a PLUS
- 5+ years experience as a Machine shop manager
- Experience programming
- Lean Certified
Applied MaterialsWhy Work Here?
We are strongly positioned on enabling the powerful, long-term trends that we expect to drive future growth in the electronics industry.
Applied Materials Inc. is the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at atomic levels and on an industrial scale enables customers to transform possibilities into reality. At Applied Materials, our innovations make possible the technology shaping the future.
ManufacturingView all jobs at Applied Materials