Applied Materials' Corporate Controller’s team is looking for an experienced professional for the position of Finance Manager, Mergers & Acquisitions and Investments. Reporting to the Finance Director of Mergers & Acquisitions and Investments, this role will be responsible for managing acquisition and venture fund diligence activities and valuations including liaising with Corporate and Business Unit functions to properly account for all acquisitions. As a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions support team, your primary responsibility will be to support the M&A team throughout the acquisition process - from target identification to valuation, structuring, due diligence, documentation, deal close and funding, and reconciliation to opening balance sheet vs purchase price, integration/follow up. Responsibilities include providing expert-level accounting consultations and financial analysis support to M&A, Applied Ventures, Business Units and Corporate functions regarding acquisition, joint venture, and minority investment accounting.
Our ideal candidate is a top performer who can motivate and inspire large and diverse teams, is able to manage multiple projects on a real-time basis and has a demonstrated ability to identify and resolve operational and integration challenges. Experience working in a matrix organization a plus and strong customer relationship skills required. This role provides great exposure to understand our company's business models, finance and accounting processes throughout the acquisition process.
- Coordinate and participate in the financial due diligence process for both buy-side and sell-side transactions.
- Manage valuation service providers/liaison with external consultants such as financial and accounting professionals.
- Engage to develop a close timeline for recording acquisition balance sheet and size opening balance sheet.
- Understand and propose any adjustments to the balance sheet and income statement impacting changes resulting from compliance with company policies and US GAAP
- Collaborate with Business Units and Corporate Accounting to map opening balance sheet and income statement in SAP
- Draft entries to record opening balance sheet
- Assist BU's in understanding acquisition-related accounting and costs to include in their forecast
- Develop valuation recommendations using most up to date valuation methodologies and accounting guidance.
- Working with the M&A team, drive and support process improvement projects for valuation and accounting related processes.
- Support annual goodwill and intangible impairment assessment
- Support assessment of Applied Ventures investments
- Work with Applied Ventures group to provide quarterly analysis and valuation of venture fund investments
- Support audit requirements from KPMG for external reporting.
- Collaborate with Corporate Accounting to assess on a quarterly basis venture fund and acquisition-related spending to ensure they are properly reported and accounted for.
Job Specific Knowledge
- Extensive M&A related experience
- Experience auditing and/or working in the high-tech industry
- Experience in leading cross-functional teams
- Solid understanding of valuation techniques related to target companies, intangible and tangible assets, and employee-related liabilities
- 5+ years purchase accounting experience
- Experience in semiconductor industry preferred
- Strong US GAAP and relevant technical accounting knowledge (e.g., revenue recognition, inventory reserves, investments, joint ventures, purchase accounting)
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical ability.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record of working with cross-functional business leaders to achieve difficult objectives.
- Ability to quickly establish rapport and gain the trust of project stakeholders
- Ability to act as financial advisor to business unit management
- Ability to work independently in ambiguous situations and take the necessary steps to validate assumptions
- Excels at working as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues
- Minimum: BS in Finance, Business, or related field
- Preferred: MBA level degree, CFA
- 10-12+ years related experience
- CPA required
- Ticker: Nasdaq: AMAT
- Market Cap: $43.5 billion
- Fiscal 2018 Revenue: $17.3 billion
- Fiscal 2018 R&D: $2 billion
- Founded: November 10, 1967
- Headquarters: Santa Clara, California
- Global Presence: 93 locations in 17 countries
- Manufacturing: China, Germany, Israel, Italy, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, United States
- Employees: ~21,000 worldwide
- Patents: >12,500 issued