Job Description: Junior Designer
Supervisor: VP of Design
Responsibilities: Shall be responsible for completion of line development and special projects, within specified deadlines. This includes development of fabrics and trims based on market research and forecasting. Analyze fashion trends through shopping, social media, and analytic and trend services. Integrate findings to create new and updated concepts for the line. Work with design director and sales team to ensure line is representative of the direction and focus of the company. Travel as needed to New York market, retail buyer appointments, Europe &/or Asia.
Qualifications: Ability to identify and translate design concepts and trends into product that resonates with the company’s retail customers and end-consumers. Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop is required. Ability to plan & adhere to time and action calendar, meet due dates, identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Possess leadership qualities to solve problems independently; analyze and articulate information to senior management, sales team, and/or retail buyers as needed. Communicate clearly and concisely to the team and coordinate tasks and responsibilities to meet department and company needs.
Supervisory: Overall supervision of design room, including all associates & assistants on the team, this also includes training, planning, assigning, and directing workflow & resolving problems as they arise.
1. Research, Line Planning & Development for monthly line and special projects including trend and theme direction, color cards, fabrics & trims.
2. Direct & follow up patterns workflow, cutting, sewing & all aspects of final sample development with design team.
3. Work with tech team to provide all necessary and accurate information for all styles going into production.
4. Manage design room to ensure a productive workspace, minimizing interruptions and distractions.
5. Schedule and conduct planning and line review meetings with design director and sales team.
6. Ensure timely completion of all sample requests for customers (i.e. style-outs, meetings, and advertising samples)
7. Participate in fit sessions with production patternmaker for all styles going through production.
8. Review and comment on all production garment components (fabrics, trims, screen-prints, washes, treatments, etc.) with import production coordinators.