GIS Application Developer / Analyst, New Markets
- Expired: March 22, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world's most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America's clean energy future.
Geospatial (GIS) applications and services maintained by the New Markets team are essential to Apex's business strategy, unifying extensive suites of GIS databases with proprietary analytic tools to enable project managers and analysts to site the next generation of US Wind, Solar, Storage, and DER projects.
As the GIS Application Developer/Analyst on our New Markets Team, you will make significant contributions to the clean energy revolution by expanding the geospatial capabilities of one of North America's leading renewable energy developers. This is a mid- to senior- level, coding-intensive GIS role. You will draw upon professional expertise as a GIS Analyst, Data Scientist, Data Engineer, or Software Developer to drive forward a wide range of technical efforts centering on prospecting and early-stage renewable energy project development.
Working within the New Markets team, you'll collaborate daily with a small team of analysts - specialized in market analysis or regional project analysis - on integrating new geospatial datasets into custom applications and pipelines. You'll also work directly with the Lead GIS Developer and the Executive Vice President of New Markets on modernizing Apex's web GIS, maintaining backend systems, and designing new proprietary tools. While your responsibilities will center on advancing the New Markets team's wind- and solar- prospecting objectives, you will also have the chance to work with other cross-functional teams on projects within the scope of your strengths and/or interests.
Apex places a high value on its geospatial workforce. Although you will be asked to wear many hats, balance complex priorities, and occasionally deploy features outside of work hours, Apex does work hard to respect our team's work-life balance. We take a stake in your professional development - supporting learning opportunities and offering one-on-one code reviews - and we value humility, empathy, and an eagerness to learn above all other hard and soft skills.
Our team's primary language is Python, and the core components of our stack (Windows / Linux / Azure) include Microsoft SQL Server, ArcGIS SDE, MongoDB, Apache Airflow, ArcGIS Portal, TensorFlow, and Flask. We are always interested in incorporating new technologies in which you bring expertise!
Although this position is open to full-time remote work, preference will be given to locally qualified applicants or those willing to relocate to our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Relocation assistance is available for this position. Expected travel requirements are 0-5%.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: New Markets
- Travel: 0 - 5%
- Office Location: Apex Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience as a GIS Analyst with a programming focus OR as a Developer, Data Scientist, or Data Engineer with a geospatial focus
- Minimum of 2 years of experience automating GIS workflows with Python (e.g., arcpy)
- Significant expertise with the ESRI suite of applications (ArcGIS 10.X, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Portal)
- Comfortable with open-source tools for geospatial data science (Jupyter Notebook, GeoPandas, pyproj, Shapely, GDAL, GRASS, RasterIO, PostgreSQL, Plotly / Dash)
- Independent thinker, able to solve complex, technical problems in creative ways
- Collaborative spirit, committed to writing clean and modular code
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Humble, empathetic, and curious
- Passionate about renewable energy
- Authorized to work in the United States for any employer without a future need for visa sponsorship
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Master's degree or higher in GIS, Data Science, Computer Science, or a related technical discipline from an accredited college or university
- Experience working with medium to large sized vector and raster datasets (up to 100's of GB)
- Experience building production-grade python APIs (e.g., Flask, FastAPI)
- Experience with modern scientific computing libraries for ML and deep learning of satellite imagery (SciPy, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, Pytorch)
- Experience scaling geospatial processing operations in the cloud (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Experience using workflow orchestration software (e.g., Airflow)
- Experience collaborating on code using version-control software (e.g., via GitHub)
- Portfolio of past projects (e.g., personal website or GitHub)
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You'll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Apex Clean Energy
ScienceView all jobs at Apex Clean Energy