Sales and Use Tax Staff / Senior Consultant (Tax Consultant / Sr) Indianapolis, IN PS23800
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Requisition #: PS23800
Post Date: 23 hours ago
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc., it's a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we're creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care .
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America's leading health benefits companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.
***Office Location:** This position will be filled in Indianapolis, IN.
Sales and Use Tax Staff / Senior Consultant (Tax Consultant / Sr)
Classification as Tax Consultant or Tax Consultant Sr. will be based on candidate qualifications and experience.
The Tax Consultant / Tax Consultant Sr. will assist in the completion of complex tax projects, including tax compliance, tax audit defense, and tax research related to the application of state and local tax laws. The primary focus of this role will be sales and use tax and other transaction taxes.
Essential duties to include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in configuration, design, support and ongoing management of Vertex transaction tax calculation software.
- Manage outsourced arrangement for sales and use tax compliance function.
- Assist with research and maintenance of product taxability mapping for Vertex integration with transaction systems across multiple lines of business and geographies.
- Monitor business changes and initiatives for potential impact on transaction tax calculation software.
- Review and resolve taxability determinations for material transactions.
- Oversee and effectively resolve sales and use tax audits, including evaluating the implications of potential settlement alternatives to ensure best outcome for Anthem.
- Research and advise on sales tax collection requirements, including those related to new lines of business.
- Advise business partners on taxability of purchases.
- Prepare monthly sales and use account reconciliations.
- Integrate acquired companies from a transaction tax perspective.
- Assist with other projects, tasks, and research (including tax department projects outside of the area of sales and use tax) as required.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with a proven ability to multitask daily responsibilities and projects, completing both in a timely manner.
- Ability to make reasonable taxability decisions and determinations based on research, industry trends and changing tax laws that may impact customers, vendors and tax jurisdictions.
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills to manage and reconcile large volume of transactional data for internal and external reporting.
- Initiative to analyze processes and implement strategies to improve efficiencies and controls.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness with attention to details while providing quality customer service (both internally and externally).
- Aptitude for continuous process improvement.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbally) with internal and external customers.
- BS/BA in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Minimum of 2-5 years of corporate tax experience, either within industry or public accounting required.
- Experience with Vertex and/or Ariba is a plus.
- CPA, eligible to sit for CPA examination, or equivalent professional designation (such as CMI) preferred.
- Experience with insurance is preferred but not essential.
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran