Kennel Assistant at Ann Arbor Animal Hospital
- $15 to $16 Hourly
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Non-Exempt
1. Positive / effective communications:
a. Communicates to clients and co-workers in a positive, professional manner in order to
enhance the reputation of the hospital and improve the atmosphere for others.
b. Communicates concisely and is a good listener in an effort to leverage productivity,
efficiency and drive patient care.
2. Able to maintain composure during stressful / high patient count situations.
3. Able to multi-task and prioritize those tasks to ensure patient care is kept as the highest
4. Is a team-player and values the need to contribute to others’ success.
5. Punctual and committed. Understands that others and patients are relying on their presence.
6. Willing to go the extra mile. If patient flow demands that employee stays beyond regularly
scheduled shift the employee understands their role and why a positive attitude is critical.
7. Compassionate and empathetic towards both clients and their pets.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
1. Walks patients as directed.
2. Cleans exam rooms to standard.
3. Cleans patient cages as needed.
4. Cleans patient messes in hospital (e.g., if a patient urinates on the floor).
5. Pick up and dispose of dog feces left on lawns / walking areas of hospital.
6. Re-stock pick-up stations with new rolls of poop bags and change out poop trashes as needed.
7. Assists LVTs and DVMs with animal restraint, as needed.
8. Assists with training new hires.
9. Understands our sanitation protocols and consistently applies these protocols to ensure all
surfaces are safely and adequately sanitized (e.g., using the correct cleaners with regard to
type of surface and form of contamination; fully cleaning surface prior to sanitizing; proper
disposal of contaminated materials; etc.)
Marginal Position Responsibilities:
1. Maintains Tx Room Checklist by completing the tasks listed (e.g., supplies, custodial, etc.)
2. Periodically checks the facility and the employee lounge to make sure all custodial functions
have been completed (e.g., dirty dishes out of sink and in dishwasher, etc.)
3. Completes special projects as needed.
Physical Demands and Environmental Factors:
- Frequent exposure to animals which may bite, scratch, or otherwise cause physical injury to
- May be exposed to anesthesia gases, zoonotic and chemical hazards, and radiation
- In order to ensure the safe and effective performance of this job and the successful operation
of the business, basic English is necessary for this position.
- Ability to move around the building to access drawers, cabinets, etc.
- Must be able to efficiently position self for safe and effective physical restraint of all patient
types (including large patients, which may need to be quickly moved from the floor to an
elevated surface such as a table)
- Ability to ascend and descend step stools to safely reach supplies in cabinets and/or on
- Ability to independently move items and equipment (weighing up to 50 pounds) over moderate
distances (e.g., several hundred feet)
- Ability to store and retrieve items which are located above head-level
- May need to remain in motion for prolonged periods (e.g., frequent movement throughout the
day to get around the grounds, tending to various job duties)
- Position requires frequent communication with coworkers. Must be able to exchange accurate
information during these communications.
- Must be able to perceive physical safety/OSHA hazards in the environment
- Previous experience in a veterinary setting preferred
- Previous cleaning experience preferred
- Has reliable method of transportation to get to shifts on time.
- With the exception of people with disabilities that prevent them from safely operating a motor
vehicle, applicants are required to have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving history. This
is necessary because hourly employees may need to make runs to the blood bank, pharmacy,
etc. If you have a disability that prevents you from driving, we would be happy to make a
- Able to work mornings, evenings, and weekends. The hospital is open seven (7) days a week
and you are expected to work at least 50% of the weekend day shifts in any given month.
When duties and responsibilities change and develop, job descriptions are reviewed and are
subject to changes of business necessity.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From $15.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- 4 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ann Arbor, MI 48103: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Veterinary experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
Available shifts and compensation: We have available shifts all days of the week. Compensation is $15.00 - $16.00/hour.
Learn more about us at www.annarboranimalhospital.com.
By applying to this job, you agree to receive periodic text messages from this employer and Homebase about your pending job application. Opt out anytime. Msg & data rates may apply.
Powered by Homebase. Free employee scheduling, time clock and hiring tools.
Ann Arbor Animal HospitalAnn Arbor, MI
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.