Under the supervision of the Chief Human Resources Office and Director of Human Resources, the Support Services Manager will be responsible for managing all administrative support services functions within the Firm which includes managing the Legal Practice Assistants (LPAs) and Paralegals by ensuring that all lawyers have adequate administrative coverage and paralegal support. The position will also be responsible for managing employee relations and personnel issues, coordinating and monitoring staffing needs, develop professional training programs, and assist with the annual evaluation process including the determination of compensation increases and bonus distributions for all LPAs and Paralegals. Primary duties includes but are not limited to the following:
- Manages employee relations and personnel issues related to LPA and paralegal support staff.
- Coordinates distribution of overflow work.
- Manages LPA work assignments including arranging back up and overtime support.
- Approves and coordinates requests for PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Reviews and approves LPA and paralegal timesheets.
- Assists with placement of new attorney arrivals in appropriate LPA assignments and communications to all parties involved.
- Conducts new hire orientations as they relate to LPA and paralegal responsibilities and departmental practices and procedures.
- Maintains regular interaction with LPA’s, paralegals, and attorneys.
Salary Administration and Performance Evaluation
- Assists with managing the annual evaluation process, compensation increases and bonuses of LPA’s and paralegals.
- Reviews all evaluations and writes evaluations and conducts evaluation meetings for direct reports.
- Witnesses and advises on unsatisfactory performance reviews.
- Monitors compensation and bonuses to ensure comparable job market salaries and bonuses are being rewarded.
- Keeps the Director of HR advised of any serious issues that require elevation.
- Writes and reviews documentation for inclusion in personnel files and for progressive discipline measures.
- Follows up and ensures resolution (when possible) on all HR-related issues.
Support Services Policy & Procedures
- Develop, review, and make recommendations to the Chief HR Officer, Director of HR and Practice Group Leaders for improvement of policies, procedures and practices on administrative matters.
- Makes changes in work distribution and/or LPA/paralegal assignments.
- Analyzes industry trends and makes recommendations to management accordingly.
- Identifies costs-saving areas and makes recommendations accordingly.
- Analyzes monthly reports (i.e. payroll and overtime) and takes action to reduce costs where available.
Professional Development & Training
- Develops and assists with the implementation of professional development training programs for LPA’s and paralegals.
- Facilitates soft skills training through our EAP
- Coordinates training program with the IT department concerning software and skills training.
- Develop and manage the LPA Training program
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree. BA/BS in human resources or related field highly preferred; relevant experience in lieu of degree is acceptable
- Minimum of five (5) years of human resources or secretarial management experience with significant reporting responsibilities
- Law firm experience preferred
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Strong project management skills involving setting goals and achieving results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving and good judgement
- Well-developed and professional interpersonal skills to interact effectively with staff at all organizational levels of the Firm