Lead Data Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 150 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 80 million lives.
The Lead Data Engineer should have experience in end-to-end implementation of data-warehousing projects. This individual will manage, utilize, move, and transform data from our source system and applications data to the cloud to create reports for senior management and internal users. This individual will work both independently on assigned projects and collaboratively with other team members. The Lead Data Engineer will collaborate with architects, business users, and source (data) team members on discovering data sources and determine tech feasibility for fetching these data sources into the consolidated data environment/platform. This individual will iteratively design and build core components for our data platform, build various ETL pipelines among the various tools in play to surface data for consumption by our reporting tools, and prioritize competing requests from internal and external stakeholders in addition to keeping the reporting infrastructure on par with new product functionality and release cycles. The Lead Data Engineer will become a subject matter expert in data classification within the platform and utilize their expertise to identify the most efficient path to deliver data from source to target, as needed.
- Design and write excellent, fully tested code to ETL/ELT data pipelines, and stream on a cloud platform.
- Have good communication skills, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
- Take ownership of design & development processes, ensuring incorporation of best practices, the sanity of code and versioning into different environments through tools like Git, etc.
- Implement product features and refine specifications with our product manager and product owners.
- Continuously improve team processes to ensure information is of the highest quality, contributing to the overall effectiveness of the team.
- Stay familiar with industry changes, especially in the areas of cloud data and analytics technologies.\Able to work on multiple areas, like data pipeline ETL, data modelling design, writing complex SQL queries, etc., and have a good understanding of BI/DWH principles
- Plan and execute both short-term and long-term goals individually and leading the team.
- Provide best practices and direction for data engineering and design across multiple projects and functional areas.
- Understand SDLC (Software Development life cycle) and have knowledge of Scrum, Agile.
- 13+ years of development experience building data pipelines.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience is required. Preferred in Computer Science or related degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in architecture of modern data warehousing platforms using technologies such as Big Data, Cloud, and Kafka experience.
- Cloud experience - any cloud, preferably Bigquery, data flow, pub-sub, and data fusion.
- Migration experience, experience utilizing GCP to move data from on-prem servers to the cloud.
- Strong Python development for data transfers and extractions (ELT or ETL).
- Experience developing and deploying ETL solutions like Informatica or similar tools.
- Experience working within an agile development process (Scrum, Kanban, etc).
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating technical documentation.
- Understand modern concepts (how new-gen DB is implemented – like how BQ/Redshift works?).
- Airflow, Dag development experience
- Informatica or any ETL tool previous experience.
- Ability and experience in BI and Data Analysis, end-to-end development in data platform environments.
- Write excellent, fully tested code to build ETL /ELT data pipelines on Cloud.
- Provide in-depth and always-improving code reviews to your teammates.
- Build cloud data solutions and provide domain perspective on storage, big data platform services, serverless architectures, RDBMS, and DW/DM.
- Participate in deep architectural discussions to build confidence and ensure customer success when building new solutions on the GCP platform.
- Fix things before they break.
Should you join Amwell and the Engineering team, you can expect:
The development organization is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers dedicated to creating a state-of-the-art TeleHealth experience on every platform we can get our hands on. Our cross-functional teams follow a pragmatic Agile methodology as we balance feature requests, strategic initiatives, tech debt, and exciting partnerships on the path to delivering a market leading product to a quickly growing customer base. We work hand in hand with the whole Amwell organization to ensure that our product meets the needs of all of our users.
Working at Amwell:
Amwell is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We're a culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our Core Values include One Team, Customer First, and Deliver Awesome. Customer First and Deliver Awesome are all about our product and services and how we strive to serve. As part of One Team, we operate the Amwell Cares program, which brings needed assistance to our communities, whether that be free healthcare for the underserved or for people affected by natural disasters, support for equality, honoring doctors and nurses, or annual Amwell-matched donations to food banks. Amwell aims to be a force for good for our employees, our clients, and our communities.
Amwell cares deeply about and supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. These initiatives are highlighted and reflected within our Three DE&I Pillars - our Workplace, our Workforce and our Community.
Amwell is a "virtual first" workplace, which means you can work from anywhere, coming together physically for ideation, collaboration and client meetings. We enable our employees with the tools, resources and opportunities to do their jobs effectively wherever they are! Amwell has collaboration spaces in Boston, Tysons Corner, Portland, Woodland Hills, and Seattle.
- Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Paid Parental Leave (Maternity and Paternity leave)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free access to Amwell's Telehealth Services, SilverCloud and The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic's second opinion program
- Free Subscription to the Calm App
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Pet Insurance
TechnologyView all jobs at Amwell