Cleveland Based Amsdell Companies/Compass Self-Storage is a growing self-storage company with 104 locations in 14 states under the Compass Self Storage banner and is searching for a newly added Controller position for our operations This role is full time and will be based out of our Cleveland, OH offices. This positions will work and develop directly with our CFO and Director of Finance and Investment. This positions will have direct supervisory responsibility of Accounting and Payable Team Members..
A full detail of the job duties and position requirements are outlined below, but some of the highest priority requirements are:
- GAAP Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to produce financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Thorough understanding of Accounting Processes and Internal Controls
- Ability to Manage, Lead and Mentor their team.
- A strong cultural fit for our business that includes high ethical standards and an appreciation of the efforts of all team members to our success.
The Amsdell Companies bring over 90 years of experience to the construction and real estate fields. Today, it enjoys tremendous success as a premier full service, privately owned real estate company, specializing in the construction, development and management of business parks, industrial parks and related commercial real estate including self-storage facilities. We offer competitive salaries, a fantastic benefits package and a focused, positive work environment.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration and a minimum of 5-7 years of related experience. CPA strongly preferred. Displays excellent Communication, Management, Conflict Resolution and Interpersonal Skills; Have the ability to Coach, Lead and Motivate Team Members: and is proficient with Microsoft Office Programs with a particular emphasis on Excel.
- The Controller will plan and direct the accounting operations of the company.
- Oversees the operations of the Accounting Department, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and budgeting.
- Implements internal control policies and procedures for all financial activities.
- Oversees training programs and identifies training needs.
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implements a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Recommends benchmarks that will be used to measure the company’s performance.
- Produces the annual budget and forecasts; reports significant budget differences to management.
- Provides financial analysis, with emphasis on capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Works with external auditors and provides needed information for the annual audit.
- Files quarterly and annual reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Proficient in in the preparation of financial statements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of related experience required.
- Certified Public Accountant strongly preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Able to travel as needed.
In over 80 years of doing business, the Amsdell Companies have been active in several billions of dollars worth of real estate ventures. The Amsdell team has extensive experience in property acquisition, construction and management. This experience, coupled with a conservative operating philosophy, solid planning, and substantial equity participation, are the roots of the Amsdell Companies’ success.
An unsurpassed company culture with a growing business with decades of experience in their industry. Opportunity and Experience.
The Amsdell group of companies draws its roots from the family owned construction company founded in 1928. Today, it enjoys tremendous success as a premier full service, privately owned real estate company, specializing in the construction, development and management of business parks, industrial parks and related commercial real estate specializing in self-storage facilities. In over 80 years of doing business, the Amsdell Companies have been active in several billions of dollars worth of real estate ventures. The Amsdell team has extensive experience in property acquisition, construction and management. This experience, coupled with a conservative operating philosophy, solid planning, and substantial equity participation, are the roots of the Amsdell Companies’ success.
20445 Emerald ParkwayCleveland, OH
Finance and Insurance
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.