CPU Design Engineer
- Expired: May 18, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
You’ll define microarchitecture and design logic in one of the most dynamic parts of a hyperscalar CPU: the memory subsystem. You’ll work with DV (Design Verification), SE (Silicon Engineering), and performance architecture to build best-in-class designs.
What the team wants you to know
Cloud computing is all about memory: optimizing latency, maximizing bandwidth, and building innovative architectural features. Our team has a start-up attitude: plenty of opportunities to learn and grow, plenty of room for innovation. We also have great mentors: industry veteran architects and designers who know how to build leadership products. We don’t do micromanagement. We don’t require meetings to make every decision. And we have fun while we do it all. When you interview, ask our team members about bee keeping, the characteristics of different IPA hops, bike mishaps, Antarctica, and the best recipe for mango pie.
What you’ll do
As a senior member of the team, you’ll be responsible for defining micro-architectural features and develop RTL for our custom CPU design, optimized for power, performance, area and timing goals. You’ll co-optimize your designs with CPU modeling, verification and implementation teams from inception to silicon. You’ll learn and grow from senior engineers and you’ll mentor fellow engineers as we continue to build the best team in the business.
What you’ll bring
- Experience with CPU microarchitecture, logic and RTL design implemented with low power design techniques
- Expert knowledge of current high-speed logic design techniques, including ability to foresee physical implementation and timing challenges during early development
- Micro-architectural and design knowledge of OOO memory subsystems, TLBs, cache design, coherency protocols
- Experience with industry standard multi-core coherency protocols a plus
- High competence in digital design/hardware design languages, ideally Verilog/System Verilog
- An innovative and creative mindset with a strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills with ability to create, measure, and evaluate tradeoffs between micro-architectural solutions to optimize for power, frequency and area
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and work collaboratively in a team to get things done in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum MS & 3 years of relevant experience, or BS & 5 years of relevant experience
BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
Perks in Santa Clara - Headquarters
- Office has panoramic views of Silicon Valley
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Garage parking, including charging stations and bike parking
- Gym and café on campus
- Walking distance to restaurants, shops, Light rail, and train stations
- Jogging and pedestrian trails
- Healthy snacks, espresso, and drinks
- Standing desks/Ergo friendly desk set-up
- Game room, including ping-pong
- Unlimited Flextime and 10+ paid holidays
Perks in Portland
- Walking distance of breweries, landscaped parks, art galleries, restaurants and shops
- Garage parking
- On-site bike parking and repair station
- On-site café, bar and market
- Roof top terrace with Willamette River views
- Healthy snacks, espresso and drinks
- Standing/Ergo friendly desk set up
- Game room
Ampere is designing the future of hyperscale cloud and edge computing with the world’s first cloud native processor. Built for the cloud with a modern 64-bit Arm server-based architecture, Ampere gives customers the freedom to accelerate the delivery of all cloud computing applications. With industry-leading cloud performance, power efficiency and scalability, Ampere processors are tailored for the continued growth of cloud and edge computing.
Like the scientist behind its name, Ampere employees are innovators. We understand the needs of cloud computing and different software requirements. We are inventing what comes next and looking at everything from the structure of memory and how efficient the system is, to considerations on speed, cost of electricity and ability to cool. Power, size, weight and cost are driving the technology requirements and the innovation to come.
Our world class team of engineers, with depth and expertise in the cloud and semiconductor industries, is not only focused on the development of new semiconductor designs but also building out the first software ecosystem for Arm®-based server processors. Through the Ampere approach to the cloud and edge, we give our customers the freedom to challenge the status quo and accelerate next-generation data centers for the most memory-intensive applications. Given the challenge we have outlined, we are building a culture of entrepreneurs that ensure customers come first, proactively approaching industry challenges in the areas of security, power and performance, delivering results that matter most.
TechnologyView all jobs at Ampere Computing