Job Title: Custodian
Follow routine cleaning and maintenance procedures to maintain a high standard of safety,
cleanliness, and efficiency of building operations and grounds. Perform custodial work such
as sweeping, mopping, remove trash, cleaning of furniture and perform
minor maintenance repairs.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Custodial experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to speak and read Basic English. Ability to read and understand instructions for cleaning, maintenance and safety procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with school administrators, students, staff, contractors, vendors and community.
- Clean and neat appearance.
- Ability to complete custodial work, such as, mopping, lifting (up to 50 lbs.), moving furniture, etc.
- Ability to work on eight (8) foot ladder.
- Ability to operate custodial and related equipment.
Major Duties and
- Maintain a cleaning schedule that will include cleaning of floors, white-boards, wastebaskets, windows, furniture, equipment and restrooms. Check restrooms periodically during the day, clean as needed, fill all paper towel and toilet tissue dispensers. Keep walls, window glass, doors, light fixtures, ledges etc., cleaned as needed.
- Dust, mop inside hallways at assigned times.
- Keep school building and grounds, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots and play areas, neat and clean.
- Sweep, or blow off walkways outside the building daily and pick up litter around building daily.
- Comply with local laws and procedures for storage and disposal of trash.
- Assist in maintaining an inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and request additional supplies as needed.
- Clean custodial equipment and closet daily.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Maintenance and Repair:
- Assist with lunchroom set up, including arranging tables and chairs. Set up for and work around any meetings or special activities that may be in session during working hours.
- Perform preventive maintenance to ensure the comfort, health and safety of students and staff. Report immediately any plumbing problems, needed building repairs or emergency situations to Business Manager.
- Regulate heat, ventilation and air conditioning systems to provide appropriate temperatures and ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Make minor building repairs as needed and report major repair needs to Business Manager, or Campus Principal.
- Move furniture or equipment within building as directed by Principal.
- Assist in setting up facilities for special events.
- Follow established procedures for locking, checking and safeguarding all areas of building, including securing janitorial closet doors when in room.
- Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
- Report all unsafe conditions and correct accordingly notify Business Manager or Principal immediately if unable to correct.
- Help keep tools and equipment in safe operating condition.
- When requested, hours, assignments and location may change based on campus needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Only pre-authorized overtime
- Follow alternating schedule
- Day schedule includes 8.5 hours per day including .50 lunch DOES NOT include morning and afternoon break.
Buffer, auto scrubber stripper, wet and dry vacuum cleaner, electric drill, leaf blower, hand
tools, shampooer, portable radio must be carried while on duty.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Work with frequent interruptions.
- Working alone and with co-workers.
- Minimize nonproductive gossip
- Frequent walking, standing, climbing, and heavy lifting and carrying.
- Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces, and ladders.
- Occasional overtime required and sometimes mandatory in the event of an emergency.
- Exposure to hot and cold temperatures, dust, toxic chemicals and materials.
Amigos Por Vida Friends for Life Charter