Are you seeking a full-time opportunity that makes a difference? Are you passionate about meeting new people? Do you want to have an impact in your community, across the country, and around the world? If your answer is "yes", then we invite you to become a Blood Processing Technologist for the American Red Cross!
Blood Processing Technologists perform basic through advanced manufacturing, processing and test procedures on blood products. Blood Processing Technologists also interpret test results before releasing blood to area hospitals. All tasks are performed in highly regulated environment. Successful Blood Processing Technologists will have a strong attention to detail, a customer-service focus and the ability to treat both internal and external customers with compassion at all times.
Blood Processing Technologist - Responsibilities
- Perform moderate to high complexity laboratory testing procedures. Manufacture blood products according to FDA, AABB, CLIA and Red Cross policies and procedures. Meet the quality and quantity production and testing goals established by the department. Ensure products are suitable for release for distribution. Appropriately manage any exceptions. Perform good inventory management practices throughout the manufacturing process. Prioritize workload to meet production and customer requirements.
- Perform quality control on products, reagents, equipment, and various test kits. Perform and interpret various testing procedures on donor specimens, and blood products. Tracks the quantities and results of QC testing performed to meet ARC and regulatory requirements.
- Operate, maintain, repair and perform validation and quality control checks on laboratory equipment, reagents and supplies to ensure the quality and accuracy of laboratory test procedures. Participate in the performance of qualifications and validations for collections equipment. Ensure adequate inventory of required supplies.
- Perform data entry and operate the computer programs associated with component production, labeling and testing. Maintain accurate, legible and complete manufacturing department records. Maintain accurate electronic and physical inventory locations for products/samples. Perform review of manufacturing records. Participate in troubleshooting and problem-solving activities with cross-functional teams.
- Analyze and make decisions based on visual inspection and information provided from other departments to meet time requirements and quality standards. Identify and quarantine products/samples that don't meet quality requirements.
- Participate in QC staff training as needed.
- Selected candidate must be able to perform the following: Sample Management, manual residual white blood cell counts, Haemonetics QC, BacT Sampling and transformation, pH testing and Pathogen Reduced product processing.
The aforementioned responsibilities of the Blood Processing Technologist position describe the general nature and level of work and are not an exhaustive list.
- Associates degree in science required, MLT (ASCP) or MT(ASCP) certification preferred.
- Minimum 4 years related experience in a regulatory, laboratory, or manufacturing environment or equivalent combination of education and related experience required for non-MLT/MT staff.
- Must meet state and CLIA requirements.
- Sample Management, manual residual white blood cell counts, Haemonetics QC, BacT Sampling and transformation, pH testing and Pathogen Reduced product processing preferred.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time. Ability to work with a team.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights