What keeps users coming back for more? How can we educate and inform people while keeping them entertained? But also: why does this backend call take quadruple the time of the others? This is the range of questions the Full Stack Product Engineer at Marketplace will need to tackle in order to be successful.
The Full Stack Product Engineer will work within our small and nimble Product Team to conceptualize, build, test, fix and optimize products across the web and other digital platforms. You'll be at the forefront of our growth, always finding the optimal technical solution to deliver on our mission of raising the economic intelligence of the country.
It's an exciting time to join Marketplace. You'll become part of a shop that's recognized as an industry leader in meaningful and creative storytelling, and one that is in the midst of a transformation from a radio series to a multi-platform enterprise. In the past year alone, we've launched one of the top business skills on the Amazon Alexa charts, as well as a brand-new website/CMS. More than 14.8 million weekly listeners tune into our award-winning radio shows with Molly Wood, Kai Ryssdal and David Brancaccio.
This is not a job where you'll be bored. You'll be responsible for the entire breadth of every product, project and feature you work on... from browser testing to optimizing database queries to managing deployments and dev-ops. Whenever an issue arises, you're the person who troubleshoots and finds the path forward along with help from the Director of Product and other internal resources.
Our stack and product roadmap are fluid, meaning the ability to pick up new languages, frameworks and entire technologies is paramount. This is a position for curious, adaptive generalists rather than long-fought experts in one specific domain. We can guarantee that eventually, you'll be working on something that doesn't exist right now. If that's a perk to you, please apply!
- Implement and maintain applications and technology that supports Marketplace's mission of raising the country's economic intelligence
- Work efficiently and quickly across the full stack this position requires sound thinking and competence across the entire breadth of a product
- Participate in development of system requirements for new products, features and tools
- Evangelize user experience, clean code and scalability of process to the entire organization
- Troubleshoot issues that arise in building products for a multivariate, widely dispersed audience. This will include triaging and making sure resources are focused on the right problems.
- Code, test, and implement software solutions using Marketplace's tools and development methodologies.
- Provide guidance to both permanent and freelance web developers on technical issues and best practices
- Quickly and efficiently fix bugs and code new features and enhancements on the front and backend in a variety of platforms and languages
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills
- Outstanding work ethic, follow through and sense of pride in work
- Attention to detail and the thoroughness to double, triple and quadruple-check work to minimize the chance of mistakes
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both in written and oral form
- Strong knowledge of web development software, products, and industry trends
- Experience with and knowledge of Wordpress as a CMS
- Knowledge of relational DBs, preferably MySQL
- Knowledge non-relational DBs, preferably ElasticSearch
- Awareness of serverless architecture such as AWS Lambda
- Strong knowledge of applied design and user-experience principles both in the context of tried and true models and new platforms such as smart speakers or chatbots
- Ability to design and build new systems from initial ideation through prototyping to final implementation and maintenance
- Even more importantly: demonstrated ability to master new ones quickly
- Mastery of Git workflow and modern IDEs
- Experience with deployment and dev-ops using cloud-based service providers such as AWS, New-Relic, Jenkins, Docker, etc
- Mastery of fundamental web application patterns, including MVC frameworks, RESTful APIs and pathways to optimization
- Experience creating system architectures with an emphasis on scalable design
- Experience integrating with third party platforms, services and APIs and troubleshooting custom implementations
- Degree or training in Computer Science, Digital Media, Web Development OR equivalent work experience
- 1+ years' related work experience as a developer/engineer on a dev team
- 1+ years' experience working with and troubleshooting open source technologies
- 1+ years' experience with both waterfall and agile development methodologies
- Working knowledge of Linux, OSX, Windows, Apache also helpful
- Experience communicating requirements and limitations between technical and non-technical stakeholders
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to work regular off-hours support as assigned, via a rotation on the software and web developer team
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro