Director, Health Policy
- Posted: over a month ago
Director, Health Policy
The American Pharmacists Association is the largest association of pharmacists in the United States and is the only organization advancing the entire pharmacy profession. Our expert staff, and strong volunteer leadership, including many experienced pharmacists, allow us to deliver vital leadership to help pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians find success and satisfaction in their work while advocating for changes that benefit them and their patients. From our headquarters in Washington, D.C., APhA prepares members to thrive at every career stage and in every pharmacy setting with world-class continuing education, transformative events, unique practice tools, and timely solutions to complex challenges. We’re committed to helping them deliver outstanding patient care, receive due recognition, and work at a full scope of practice. Pharmacists play a critical role in helping patients overcome illness and live healthier lives through chronic disease management and the fully effective use of their medicines. APhA advocates at the national level to give pharmacists a voice in decisions that affect their future while promoting their undeniable value to health care teams. Our goal is to facilitate pharmacists’ delivery of the highest quality patient-centered care.
WHAT WE’RE ABOUT
Collaboration- We strive to produce meaningful products and services in the spirit of trust and partnership throughout the organization. To achieve success, we are flexible, adaptable, open-minded, cooperative, and inclusive.
Accountability- We strive to meet the highest standards of ethical behavior. Equity, integrity, transparency, and personal responsibility drive everything we do. We are good stewards of organizational and human resources, and we are champions for our members and colleagues.
Respect- We are committed to seeking to understand others’ perspectives and appreciating our differences; treating others with consideration, thoughtfulness, and empathy; recognizing, acknowledging, and supporting each other; being fair to and supportive of our colleagues; attentively listening, and communicating tactfully and sensitively.
Excellence- We strive to deliver high-quality, innovative, and best-in-class products and services that offer high value to members and stakeholders. We embrace a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As the Director, Health Policy you will:
- Review, identify, monitor, and analyze proposed, introduced, and enacted federal legislation and regulations affecting the pharmacy profession.
- Interact with Association’s board, senior management, government affairs and professional affairs staff, and the Government Affairs Committee to assist in developing strategies to impact legislative and regulatory issues affecting pharmacy practice.
- In coordination with the Sr. Director of Regulatory Policy, prepare communications (testimony, statements, comment letters, issue summaries/briefs, newsletters, etc.) for internal and external use, including Congressional committees and Federal agencies, APhA Board of Trustees, and various communications to APhA membership to support the ongoing legislative and regulatory efforts of the association and its members.
- Lead relevant member workgroups, special interest groups, and other committees in relevant areas.
- Prepare summaries of relative reports prepared by outside researchers and consultants, other associations, agencies, and organizations.
- Interact with the Government Affairs team and external communications staff to develop communications strategies to implement the association’s legislative and regulatory goals and prepare for press inquiries and interviews.
- Interact with the Government Affairs team and publication staff to prepare and review articles for print and electronic communications to members.
- Present APhA’s position to public audiences including public officials, federal policymakers, and profession representatives, as assigned.
- Assist the Political Action Coordinator in developing advocacy materials to support the ongoing legislative and regulatory efforts of the Association and its members.
- Work with other Government Affairs staff to develop and further relationships with state pharmacy associations.
- Supervise student interns and executive residents in Government Affairs Division.
- Other activities as assigned.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
APhA may be the right fit for you if:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in political science, public policy, pharmacy, and/or a related health care profession. Advanced degree preferred
- You have a minimum of four years of work experience (or equivalent practical experience), including a previous history that includes legislative/ regulatory activities and/or a health care or healthcare policy background.
- You have Knowledge of and experience in pharmacy practice preferred.
- You have exceptional written and oral communication skills
- You have strong organizational skills
- You have excellent research and quantitative skills
- You have proficiency with Microsoft Word, EXCEL, PowerPoint
- You have the ability to meet strict deadlines
- You have the ability to self-direct and make decisions
- You have the ability to speak in public and represent the association in public forums
MORE ABOUT US
APhA offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits program that includes:
- A salary of $123,000-$130,000 commensurate with experience
- Three Medical Plans (HSA & POS Plan Options Available)
- Free Basic Dental Plan (Employee Coverage Only)
- A Vision plan for as little as $15 per month (All coverage levels)
- Free Life, AD&D, and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Contributions towards your HSA Account (HSA Health Plans Only)- $750/employee coverage and $1,500/family coverage
- Traditional & Roth 401(K) plans with a 100% match (up to the first 5%) as of your first day of service;
- A host of other benefits (Paid-Time off, Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Legal Support, and much more!
APhA does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, veteran status, religion, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
American Pharmacists Assoc
HealthcareView all jobs at American Pharmacists Assoc