The Grassroots Coordinator works directly with state associations in designated regions to advance key legislative priorities and attends and participates in face-to-face meetings and other gatherings to further grassroots and state legislative advocacy efforts.
This position offers varying forms of support, such as clerical, record keeping, data entry, and communications at all levels of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops and maintains relationships with state association(s) staff, volunteers, lobbyists and elected officials.
- Assists in coordinating grassroots and volunteer efforts at state capitols and events throughout the designated region, as necessary.
- Communicates with local volunteers about critical legislative engagement timelines and messaging.
- Supports state association(s) with drafting and distributing white papers, talking points and other supplemental materials to legislators and other key volunteers on legislative priorities.
- Submits weekly reports on legislative, political, and grassroots matters in assigned region to Director.
- Coordinates with AOA communications staff on timely messaging related to key legislative and political issues.
- Participates in face-to-face meetings with legislators and volunteers on legislative priorities.
- Submits accurate and timely reports.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Political Science, or related field preferred.
Experience: Three-five years of political, campaign, grassroots, state legislative or advocacy experience required
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Other Requirements Including the Amount of Time Traveled: This position requires extensive travel up to 70% during legislative sessions and throughout the year or as needed.
At the American Optometric Association, our employee benefits package includes health benefits (dental, medical and vision), life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, healthcare flex spending account, 401k, vacation and holidays, flexible work hours, adoption assistance, educational assistance, and more.