The Shift Coach provides supervision of associates on production and packaging lines and is responsible for assuring production volume and qualities meet the production schedule and standards of the Company. This position acts as a champion for the implementation of LEAN manufacturing principles and World Class manufacturing practices. The Shift Coach will maintain open communication with associates and management, and will foster an environment of learning and development. The Shift Coach is familiar with OSHA safety requirements and strongly promotes a hazard free work place. This position requires someone who is proficient at multi- tasking and is comfortable working in a union environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Schedules, assigns and monitors daily workload for Production Associates; determine and manage priorities through innovative and resourceful thinking.
- Provides leadership and the "tools" necessary for associates to complete timely and high quality of work.
- Ensures requirements of production schedule are met through coordination with other Shift Coaches, and allocates resources as necessary.
- Creates atmosphere in which associates feel valued and one in which they feel advancements are well within their reach.
- Provides on-going coaching of associates on LEAN, day-to-day procedures and overall planning.
- Interacts with many levels and categories of associates to increase output, reduce waste, standardize work instructions, incorporate World Class Thinking, and improve communications and cooperation between departments.
- Acts as an effective liaison between departments, facilitates for others, and resolves conflicts.
- Facilitates problem resolution between associates within the cell and various departments by controlling the situation through positive discussion in order to avoid union grievances.
- Initiates personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, discharges, or disciplinary measures by notifying the Human Resources department and completing appropriate paperwork.
- Act as champion for the implementation for World Class Manufacturing and LEAN Manufacturing practices; serves as a Team Leader for process improvement activities and initiatives.
- Demonstrates an attitude of continuous process improvement.
- Demonstrates openness to new ideas.
- Facilitates & coaches associates & production line teams to achieve goals.
- Plans, supervises, directs, and engages in daily production operation & anticipates product problems, (i.e. material shortages, equipment malfunctions, rush orders, etc…) such that loss of work hours is minimized and production & duality objectives are achieved.
- Exchange timely information with other supervisors on product flow & work force needs.
- Demonstrates a keen awareness of safety practices in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrates a familiarity with OSHA standards and incorporate those standards into the production department.
- Encourages associates to identify safety issues and take corrective actions.
- Ensures that associates follow safety regulations.
· Reinforce safety GMP’s on a daily basis & fully support the safety program.
- Reinforces quality in all manufacturing processes & ensures that all associates follow the established quality guideline.
- Responsible for Food Safety as related to position.
- Five or more years direct production supervising experience, preferably in food processing and packaging.
- Two or more years of experience with LEAN and/or Six Sigma manufacturing practices.
- Team Building skills a must.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Basic understanding of job functions, food safety (SQF), quality, good manufacturing practices (GMP), Safety and production manufacturing.
- Knowledge with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent leadership skills, strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience in a manufacturing plant.
- Experience with union grievance process preferred.