Development Director, Greater Washington Region
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
Now is the time to join us and make a difference. Be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. Here at the American Heart Association, you matter and so does your career.
The American Heart Association has an excellent opportunity for a Development Director, Greater Washington Region in our Arlington VA office. This is a hybrid position, you can be located in Arlington VA, D.C. or Alexandria VA. The Development Director is responsible for achieving revenue generation goals by applying established Association best practices for the Heart's Delight Wine Tasting & Auction campaign.
The Association offers many resources to help you maintain work-life harmonization through your changing needs and life situations. To help you be successful, you will have access to Heart U, our award-winning corporate university, as well as additional training and support, locally.
#TheAHALife is our company culture, our way of life, reflecting our diversity and inclusion, our focus on work-life harmonization and our Guiding Values. Discover why you will Be Seen. Be Heard. Be Valued™ at the American Heart Association by following us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and at heart.org.
The Development Director ensures appropriate volunteer leadership is recruited and developed. This will include solicitation of large dollar and multi-year corporate sponsorships, individual donor cultivation, and Executive Leadership Team (ELT) recruitment, volunteer committee recruitment, auction procurement throughout the year. The Director will be held accountable to an overall fundraising goal to advance the American Heart Association's mission. Implements high quality events in accordance with Association standards and in collaboration with team.
The main accountability of the Development Director is to drive revenue for the mission of the Association.
- Focus on new business. Prospect and secure local corporate sponsorships, individual donations, and company engagement. Research, identify, and secure new companies as corporate sponsors for Association events. Establish relationships with corporate partners and volunteers to retain and upgrade their financial dedication.
- Engage, recruit corporate leaders, and community leaders to serve on volunteer leadership committees and chair the event to ensure fundraising outcome success. This includes frequent face-to-face meetings to pitch, secure and eventually upgrade their financial commitment.
- Manage 3 silent and 3 live auctions for Heart’s Delight. Volunteer recruitment, secure auction partners, data entry, outreach for new auction items, and donor acknowledgement. Help write and edit 300 page auction catalog. Handle intake, catalog and organize all auction lots. Develop bid sheets, signage and display materials for auction at event.
- Manage Auction Committee
- Revenue generation and volunteer management
- Solicit and build out exciting high-end live & silent auction packages to maximize revenue growth
- Run and lead all auction logistics
- Provide and execute concierge service for auction winners
- Lead new sponsorships and relationships to achieve market campaign goals through the cultivation, stewardship, renewal, and deepening engagement via frequent face-to-face meetings to retain and upgrade their financial commitment, according to timeline and business plan.
- Recruit and run executive volunteer leadership, volunteer committees, and day of the event timeline and business plan. Leads volunteer recruitment and engagement with c-suite executive and manager level volunteers.
- Develop profiles on the top businesses within the metro area with a detailed plan to secure their involvement.
- Lead and engage new individual membership for our personal giving society, in partnership with other appropriate fundraising staff. Includes planning and completing regular engagement events for members. Develop annual stewardship and cultivation for donors in the Society. Provide collaborative guidance as able to the materials across social events in the market as well to mirror Association messaging.
Want to help get your resume to the top? Take a look at the experience we require:
- University/College degree or equivalent experience, preferred.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in fundraising, outside sales or in a non-profit organization in a similar capacity. This experience may also count towards satisfying this position’s educational requirement.
- Knowledge of community organization, sales, fundraising, and marketing principles, practices, techniques, and trends.
- Validated verbal and written communication skills, including large and small group presentations, group facilitation, and training. Skill in written communications to include clear and concise narrative reports, evaluations, and similar narrative pieces.
- Knowledge of forming strategic alliances/partnerships with Fortune 1000 companies or similar type organizations.
- Ability to do daily travel up to 75% in your local market.
- Must have basic knowledge and skill with Microsoft Office 365 or higher used for word processing, email, presentations, and spreadsheets.
- Ability to lift and/or move large objects (such as boxes) with the expectation that heavier items would be broken down into smaller components or requesting additional assistance may be required before lifting and/or moving.
Attracting dedicated, committed employees means offering a competitive benefits package, ongoing professional development and training, and a diverse and inclusive environment in which to work and grow. And we do.
The American Heart Association invests in its people. Here are the main components of our total rewards package. Visit Rewards & Benefits to see more details.
- Compensation – Our goal is to ensure you have a competitive base salary. That’s why we regularly review the market value of jobs and make adjustments, as needed.
- Performance and Recognition – You are rewarded for achieving success by merit increases and incentive programs, based on the type of position.
- Benefits – We offer a wide array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, along with a robust retirement program that includes an employer match and automatic contribution. As a mark of our commitment to employee well-being, we also offer an employee assistance program, employee wellness program and telemedicine, and medical consultation.
- Professional Development – You can join one of our many Employee Resource Groups (ERG) or be a mentor/mentee in our professional mentoring program. HeartU is the Association’s national online university, with more than 100,000 resources designed to meet your needs and busy schedule.
- Work-Life Harmonization – The Association offers Paid Time Off (PTO) at a minimum of 16 days per year for new employees. The number of days will increase based on seniority level. You will also have a total of 12 paid holidays off each year, which includes several days off at the end of the year.
- Tuition Assistance - We support the career development of all employees. This program provides financial assistance to employees who wish to further their education and career in relation to their current duties and responsibilities, or for potential future positions in the organization.
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, our mission is to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, age, language, sexual orientation, national origin and physical or cognitive abilities. We're committed to ensuring our workforce, workplace culture and mission have a shared impact across a diverse set of backgrounds.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
#AHAIND1, #AHAWAYUP, #LI-Hybrid
American Heart AssociationArlington, VA
Create or sign into a ZipRecruiter account, and then apply on the company site¹
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.