Associate Executive Director-Western Region
- Expired: December 03, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Los Angeles, CA
Position Specifications And Candidate Qualifications
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, widely known as “the university that built the nation of Israel,” was founded on Mount Scopus in 1918 (30 years before the founding of the State of Israel) by visionaries including Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Chaim Weizmann, and Martin Buber. Opened in 1925, the Hebrew University is now Israel’s premier academic institution and the country’s research powerhouse.
The Hebrew University enrolls 23,500 students from Israel and 70 other countries in its seven academic Faculties in the Humanities, Science, Law, Social Sciences, Agriculture, Dental Medicine, and Medicine, and 14 schools. Its students, faculty, and alumni have won eight Nobel Prizes. For more information, visit .
AMERICAN FRIENDS OF THE HEBREW UNIVERSITY (AFHU)
AFHU is a national, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in New York City. AFHU was founded in 1925 to raise awareness of and support for the Hebrew University. Through the philanthropic leadership of American Friends across the U.S., AFHU helps the University to recruit and retain outstanding faculty, build teaching and research facilities, provide scholarships and fellowships, and advance basic and applied research in a myriad of vital fields.
AFHU’s national and regional programs, events, and missions to Israel promote a greater appreciation of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem’s breadth and scope of achievements, and the university’s pivotal role in educating leaders for the State of Israel. By nurturing Israel’s greatest natural resource—the intellectual strength of the nation’s people—AFHU helps the Hebrew University improve human health, lead the way with agricultural innovation, spearhead the latest breakthroughs in brain sciences, and illuminate the world through the humanities.
AFHU has a staff of 43 professionals with regional offices in New York City, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Ft. Lauderdale, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. And satellite offices in Dallas and Philadelphia. With an endowment of over $500 million, AFHU raises approximately $60 million each year and is growing. AFHU’s contribution is over half of what is raised from around the world from other Friends groups. For further information on AFHU, visit .
The Western Region office is headquartered in Los Angeles (Encino) and covers Southern California and the Southwestern states. The office has a total staff of five: Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, Event Coordinator, Campaign Associate, and Executive Development Assistant. The region raises approximately $8-$14 million annually. There is an engaged board of 35-40 leaders. The region is led by Executive Director Sheri Kaufer who has been with AFHU for over seventeen years.
The Western Region seeks an exceptional front-line development executive who wants to join a dynamic team of professionals to work on a major-gifts driven campaign. S/he will have a unique opportunity to utilize his or her diverse skills to work on direct solicitations, educational programming, fundraising event management, direct mail follow-up, donor recognition, alumni relations, and outreach to affinity groups and country clubs.
In addition to identifying, cultivating and soliciting major prospects, the Associate Executive Director (AED) will plan and organize programs that showcase the work and mission of Hebrew University. The AED will organize and implement an annual gala, coordinate parlor meetings with visiting faculty members, arrange leadership forums, and organize a donor recognition event and alumni gatherings.
The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of soliciting major gifts and organizing sound educational programming, as well as a familiarity with the Jewish philanthropic community in the region. S/he will also possess a strong commitment to the mission of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and to AFHU which supports the University.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
This position is an opportunity to align yourself with one of the world’s top universities. In previous years the University received international attention for advances in medicine, the invention of new drug platforms, major archaeological discoveries and international partnerships reflective of the University’s global stature. From bioengineering to brain research, and from law to human rights, the Hebrew University offers donors and prospects a wealth of investments to interest their philanthropic giving. Donors can leverage their gifts knowing that research and discoveries made at the Hebrew University not only help Israel, but also assist people worldwide through their advances.
The staff at AFHU is highly regarded in the Jewish philanthropic community, and the Executive Director of the Western Region is seeking candidates who are creative, motivated, and have intellectual curiosity.
AFHU is large enough so that there are opportunities for growth, and the AED will be a vital and appreciated member of the team. S/he will have the opportunity to cultivate the awareness of the work of the Hebrew University in the Western Region, try new ideas, involve new and younger donors and raise more funds to enable the University to turn dreams into realities.
- Partner with the Western Region Executive Director to develop regional strategic campaign plans; and implement and evaluate major giving campaigns;
- Develop and manage your own portfolio of major ($25,000+) gift prospects across the region, including developing and working in the Greater High Desert Region of Southern California, Orange County, and Las Vegas; and design and implement strategies for prospect cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship;
- Plan and execute high-level fundraising events and generate new and exciting programs for outreach to expand the donor base, including the next generation of donors with major gift potential.
- Collaborate effectively with the Western Regional team and the National staff to ensure maximum fundraising effectiveness to meet Regional and National goals;
- Identify and cultivate lay leaders for future leadership roles for the Region, the National organization, and the University; work strategically with lay leaders to encourage them to build bridges and utilize their networks to help develop stronger relationships with other lay leaders, prospects, and donors;
- Serve as an enthusiastic and well-informed spokesperson for AFHU and the Hebrew University. Continuously learn about University programs, research, and developments, and share them with selected donors and prospects;
- Staff fundraising visits by University faculty and leaders in the Region, and help develop a variety of educational forums, written communications, and one-on-one meetings to make the University relevant to donors and prospects;
- Ability to travel throughout the region as needed;
- Travel to Israel, when deemed appropriate by AFHU.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree is a plus;
- At least ten years of successful fundraising experience within a Jewish communal, higher education, or nonprofit setting;
- Significant experience identifying, cultivating, and soliciting five-figure and plus gifts from individuals and family foundations;
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills are a necessity.
- The ability to present the Hebrew University story convincingly and professionally that engages, inspires and generates enthusiasm among prospects;
- Ability to work in a highly collegial manner within a complex national and international organizational culture;
- Ambitious and motivated development professional who values a results-driven and highly collaborative work environment;
- Higher education experience;
- Determined and decisive, exhibiting sound judgment and grace under pressure;
- The successful candidate will be innovative, tenacious, and motivated to take on new challenges;
- Familiarity with the Jewish philanthropic communities in the Western Region and be well-acquainted with issues regarding Israel;
- A deep personal resonance with the mission of the Hebrew Universityand an unwavering commitment to AFHU’s goals and values;
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Suite, Raiser’s Edge and other relevant programs, databases and reporting systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
AFHU offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to Medical and Dental Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403B Retirement Savings Plan, TransitChek Program, Employee Assistance Program as well as a generous time off/holiday policy.
Please apply for the position using the following link:
Powered by JazzHR
American Friends of the Hebrew University
AddressLos Angeles, CA
BusinessView all jobs at American Friends of the Hebrew University