American Cruise Lines, the largest cruise line in the United States, is looking to add multiple Baker/ Pastry Chefs to our shipboard team as we gear up for the busiest part of our operating season on America’s rivers. Our shipboard team supports a combined fleet of ships sailing through various different itineraries across the nation from contemporary riverboats to paddlewheel queens for a steamboat experience.
We make it a top priority to offer a first-class dining experience at every meal. Exceptional cuisine is prepared by chefs who have extensive culinary credentials and training from some of the most prestigious culinary institutes. Using only the freshest ingredients, menus are inspired by regional and local specialties.
The Baker should have Culinary Expertise and experience to make a wide variety of desserts as well as Baked Goods, including Confectionary Work. Must be able to understand and appreciate the subtleties of flavor pairings and different taste, and have a good aesthetic sense for food and pastry presentation. The position is responsible for adhering to the daily matrix consisting of Desserts, Tea Time, Pastries, Breads and other duties assigned by the Corporation and/or the galley Executive Chef. The Baker must be creative and continually researching and testing new and different dessert and baking recipes to ensure that each guest and crew have an exceptional dining experience.
- Oversees creativity and prepares all desserts, bread, pastries, cookies, etc. required for vessel each day
- Set-up, maintain, and breaks down station according to FDA Standards
- Taste all products produced to assess quality
- Notifies Executive Chef of all product shortages and equipment maintenance issues
- Prepares and serves items in accordance with established procedures, recipes, portion size and presentations standards
- Maintains accurate counts on all food items prepared insuring no discrepancies in amount of food needed verses amount of food prepared
- Schedules production of all baked goods to maintain an inventory of fresh baked goods at all times
- Use food production equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Clean and maintain station while practicing exceptional safety, sanitation and organizational skills
- Maintains a professional appearance at all times
- Report to work as scheduled, in uniform, clean shaven (for males) and ready for the daily tasks at hand
- Maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers
- Ensure that each guest has a positive and memorable experience
- Basic understanding of Professional Baking and Pastries
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Commitment to quality service, and food & beverage Knowledge
- Adapt and adjust on a daily basis as last minute requests or changes may occur
- Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking and/or 3-5 years of experience with an emphasis on Quality Production
- Cruise Ship experience
- Ability to reach, bend, and frequently lift/move items up to 50 lbs.
- Be able to work in a standing position for extended amounts of time
- Capability to multi-task
- Ability to take direction
- MUST be a team player
- Ability to work with composure under pressure
- Possess problem solving skills, self-motivation, and organization
- Must be able to speak, read, and understand basic cooking recipes and adhere to directions
- An effective leader who is able to effectively control his/her time management
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
About Our Company: American Cruise Lines operates the newest and largest fleet of cruise ships in the United States, 3 of which are on the Mississippi River. The America and the Queen of the Mississippi are modern paddlewheelers reminiscent of steamboats from a bygone era, while the American Song is a brand new riverboat with contemporary décor. We offer a number of shipboard positions which provide the opportunity to cruise the most captivating destinations in the country including the East Coast, Mississippi River, Pacific Northwest, and Alaska. Take advantage of this opportunity to join a thriving company with over 30 years of experience. Create lasting memories on board, while exploring the beauty of America’s waterways.
Our philosophy for success is simple; hire talented people then provide training, support systems and motivation so you will thrive. Long established and deeply experienced in cruise travel, American Cruise Lines has been honored with multiple awards.