Range Technician - Sequoia National Forest
- Expired: March 04, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the Sequoia National Forest, is seeking TWO Range Technicians to work alongside Forest Service staff.
For more information about ACE, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
Start Date: 05/15/2023
Estimated End Date: 08/25/2023
*a 15-week minimum commitment is required*
Location Details/Description: Sequoia National Forest, Kernville, CA
The Sequoia National Forest covers over 1.1 million acres in three counties of Southern California and offers an abundance of recreation opportunities for people to enjoy. The Forest offers 52 developed campgrounds, hiking on more than 1,147 miles of trails including 47 miles of the PCT, over 314,448 acres of wilderness, 222 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers, 2,617 rivers and streams, world-class whitewater rapids, 158 ponds and lakes, boating, fishing, biking, horseback riding and more.
Project Websites: For more information regarding the Sequoia National Forest, please click here.
- Participate in ongoing rangeland rehabilitation and restoration projects.
- Survey range improvements to determine condition
- Conduct range readiness, and utilization monitoring
- Help construct small range improvement projects, and exclosures
This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 5:00pm
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $800/week to offset the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or the Forest Service.
Housing Assistance: ACE members will be eligible for reimbursable housing assistance up to $600/month. The ACE Member will only be reimbursed for approved and demonstrated housing expenses.
Provided Training/Orientation: ACE members will receive position specific training and an orientation outlining ACE policies and procedures, clear guidance on prohibited activities, and networks for support. Members will have the opportunity to be mentored by Forest Service permanent staff in a variety of disciplines related to this role. Members can expect training and mentorship in landscape level planning, botany, invasive mitigation planning and techniques, data collection and reporting, among other things.
- Members must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, as required by U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass the required two-part criminal history check
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members will need to complete bi-weekly timesheets, beginning of term feedback forms, end of term evaluations and for longer terms, a mid-term evaluation.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website https://www.usaconservation.org/epic/#eligibility-requirements.
- Competitive applicants for this position should have a bachelor's degree in Range, Resource Management, or relevant professional experiences in closely related fields.
- Be able to identify or learn to identify a variety of plants including grasses, grass likes and forbs.
- Experience and/or ability to learn the use of a GPS unit.
- Database management and ArcGIS software experience.
- 4x4 vehicle and ATV experience
- Members should be capable of working alone, or with other people, during early morning hours, night, or during the day.
- Members should be capable of working in remote locations for backcountry work trips over an extended period of time, primitive camping
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions:
- Physical Demands: Ability to hike over rough terrain, and camp overnight under field conditions.
- Weight Lifted or Force Exerted: Frequently moves up to 50 lbs., ability to move up to 50 pounds.
- Environmental: Outdoor and indoor conditions. Work environment conditions can change frequently; working under adverse weather conditions and in various climates.
Environmental Conditions/Hazards: The ACE member(s) may encounter environmental conditions/hazards including extreme heat or cold, rocky terrain, swamp or wetland conditions, biting insects, potentially dangerous wildlife, working in burned forest conditions, and loose footing and hazardous trees. The member is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow staff/members or resources.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/. Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact USFS/BLM Recruitment and Member Manager, Caris Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
American Conservation Experience - EPIC
Get fresh Forest Conservation Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.