The individual in this position reports to the Manager of Tax Compliance and Reporting and works closely with the Tax team. The incumbent works in a dynamic environment with critical deadlines throughout the year under general managerial direction and must commit to and deliver consistently outstanding customer service and high quality products. The incumbent prepares tax filings and meets deadlines, conducts research, analyses, and internal and external correspondence. The person must be a seasoned, experienced tax professional with a full understanding of tax laws and regulations; utilizes creativity to perform a wide range of assignments; demonstrates understanding of a wide range of experience and comprehensive knowledge of tax laws and regulations, and accounting concepts, principles, practices, and procedures including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and internal controls, tax regulations and reporting requirements. The individual will be expected to apply these concepts to properly record tax transactions in the general ledger and reconcile tax accounts. The individual must be able to apply various principles, concepts, and procedures to develop solutions to real life situations. The individual is detail oriented, organized, and dedicated to excellent customer service and producing high quality products. The individual is expected to handle complex tasks, identify problems, and provide solutions to a variety of complex issues and need little work direction. The individual is expected to be able to set priorities, evaluate results, and make individual judgment to formulate and interpret policies or organizational practices to provide recommendations and solutions. The individual participates in system upgrades and implementations, develops user requirements for new or existing software, coordinates and performs testing before and after implementation, with streamlining and improving current processes, identifying business solutions, and creating opportunities for enhanced customer service and more efficient processes. The individual may serve as a liaison on a project team and may lead or supervise the activities of others. The individual normally receives little instruction on a day-to-day work and general instructions on new assignments. The individual must communicate openly with the tax team and other financial and operating staff. As a result, this individual should have highly developed communication (both written and oral) and organization skills.
Prepare accurate and timely state and federal tax and information returns, filings for sales and use tax, foreign countries value added tax and goods and services tax, applications for business registrations, permits, and licenses. Develop and maintain complete, accurate and organized workpapers and comply with document retention practices.
Prepare tax related journal entries and perform reconciliations of tax general ledger accounts. Understand how tax and other software applications function and post to the general ledger. Research issues back to the source, effectively summarize findings, and recommend appropriate actions.
Perform research on tax issues including advanced international indirect tax issues; understand, and incorporate laws and regulations into analyses, and make recommendations on alternative treatment of issues.
Perform, oversee, or review production processes; maintain critical, fundamental tax information in the Society’s tax software, including customer and product exemptions for sales tax, value added tax, and goods and services tax purposes; participate in system upgrades and implementations, and coordinate and perform testing before and after system implementation.
Plan and execute complex tasks and projects within time and/or other constraints.
Review ACS tax policies and procedures for compliance with new and existing laws and regulations, understand, and adhere to operating procedures. Document, update, and maintain Tax policies, procedures and processes.
Identify, recommend, develop, and implement process improvements and innovative solutions. Identify and recommend advanced technology solutions to improve processes.
Provide tax support services to ACS staff and the Society’s chapters, known as local sections, divisions, subdivisions, and regions.
Respond to routine inquiries from state and federal agencies.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- A minimum of five (5) years of accounting and tax experience with emphasis on federal and state corporate, income, property, sales and use taxes, value added tax, goods and services tax and/or unclaimed property reporting, and research, with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting; or three (3) years of related experience and a Master’s degree and/or a CPA certification. Previous experience working with a multinational and/or NON- Profit experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience performing research on international tax issues
- Ability to understand and execute research projects utilizing tax research software and ability to apply computer technology in new ways desired.
- Successful problem solving and analytical skills and ability to perform under time pressures and meet deadlines. Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with energetic positive attitude.
- Excellent customer interface skills and ability to effectively communicate with all staff and others outside the ACS.
- Excellent work paper techniques and providing clear audit trail.
- Strong and advanced computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; strong knowledge of PeopleSoft and NVISION; Vertex sales and use tax and value added tax systems preferred.