ACS Publications Overview:
The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society (ACS) publishes more than 56 peer-reviewed journals (and growing) focused on chemistry and chemistry-related topics, as well as a weekly topical magazine (C&EN). The Division has domestic facilities in Washington, D.C. and Columbus OH, as well as worldwide operations in a growing number of international locations including but not limited to the UK, Singapore, India, and China. Already established as the most-trusted,
most-cited, and most-read journals in chemistry-related sciences, ACS products are well-known to and deeply respected by current and potential customers alike.
The ACS provides access to our premier scientific journals and information products to the academic, government, and corporate research communities through subscription sales agreements.
The Academic & Government Account Manager (AGAM) is one of four field-based sales positions responsible for exceeding revenue targets with Academic & Government customers and prospects in the US and Canada. Success in these markets will derive from the teams’ ability to conceive and execute strategies and tactics to grow an existing Academic & Government account base; manage the evolution of Open Access within Academic Research Libraries (ARLs); productively engage libraries and faculty within Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (PUIs); and manage growth in pace with ACS’ growing journals and products portfolio within the Government market.
The Account Manager reports to the Academic & Government Sales Manager (AGSM) and is responsible for managing ACS Publications academic and governmental institution customers within the Midwestern US. The incumbent will work from a home office and will be required to travel regularly to client sites, and periodically to ACS facilities in Columbus OH Washington DC as well as to offsite locations for periodic sales meetings. The incumbent will work proactively to equally ensure maximum revenue performance and maximum customer satisfaction. The incumbent must maximize in-person interactions to develop strong and lasting relationships, while using phone and email to ensure the most efficient use of time in pursuit of goals. The AGAM will manage an extensive existing book of business and maximize year-over-year renewal revenue, while prospecting extensively to drive new product sales within existing customers and prospect new account acquisitions. The successful applicant will have demonstrated sales skills and achievements, knowledge of the scientific publishing industry, and an inherent appreciation for the value high quality journals bring to the scientific enterprise.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated evidence of the appropriate personal and professional skills to execute the following position accountabilities:
- Provide territory-level leadership for team including Columbus-based sales partner to achieve exceptional annual performance for both subscription and one-time sales targets within the Midwest Academic & Government territory.
- Negotiate win-win growth agreements with top Strategic/Key Academic & Government consortia and independent accounts.
- Develop appropriate engagement and negotiations with interested ARLs to grow ACS Offset Benefit Program (OBP) agreements.
- Grow Government revenue through product up-sell, new account acquisition, and by leveraging the expanding ACS Publications journals portfolio.
- Establish strong and effective relationships within Primarily Undergraduate Institution (PUI) Libraries and Faculty to maximize year-over-year retention and provide insight into new product opportunities.
- Manage leads, opportunities and account interactions in accordance with established policies and best practices, facilitated and recorded through ACS’ SalesForce CRM.
- Work closely with Academic sales colleagues and Revenue Marketing to capitalize on developed Academic & Government sales leads; increase academic and government customer engagement; support on-going value of ACS products and services and improve customer success
- Execute go-to-market plans for new product innovations, and exceed launch targets for customer penetration and revenue
- Represent ACS Publications in appropriate professional and conference venues, and in other situations appropriate to the role.
- Four-year college degree required, with BS in a hard science preferred.
- Fully conversant in the area of academic scholarly communication and the forces of change impacting the associated business.
- Current and relevant knowledge of the landscape of both undergraduate academic education and federal government research within the US and Canada.
- Keen insight into the strengths and opportunities with respect to our competitors in the academic and government marketspace.
- Strong demonstrated leadership skills, with the ability to make decisions and engage stakeholders to take appropriate actions.
- Strong organizational and CRM skills (Salesforce.com preferred), using data to drive decision-making to uncover/support customer needs and opportunities.
- Ability to work remotely and independently with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Freedom to travel up to 40-50% of time.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly relevant STEM-focused publication and/or database sales experience in government and/or academiac.
- Research experience sufficient to provide an informed perspective on the value of ACS products to practicing scientists preferred.