Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
American Battery Solutions has a full-time opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer in Lake Orion, Michigan.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the design, development and execution of core battery mechanical system components and assemblies. The individual will be responsible for defining, documenting, and designing battery pack and battery module mechanical and thermal components and assemblies, and overseeing validation of those components and assemblies.
An effective candidate is comfortable applying technical knowledge to innovative designs, driving resolution of challenges, and taking ownership of new product development activities.
- Apply technical knowledge to the on-time delivery of work products through the product development life cycle for each project.
- Own the design & development of efficient designs for components & sub-assemblies.
- Work in concert with manufacturing engineers in the development of processes & tools supporting manufacture and assembly.
- Component definition, sizing, selection, and design of battery module & pack mechanical and thermal components (e.g., battery structure, enclosures, injection molded plastics, cooling plates, mechanical joining methods).
- Work closely with Systems Engineers and CAE Engineers to prove out design concepts prior to pack prototype builds.
- Act as a mentor and advisor to Design Release Engineers (DREs) on the team.
- Key contributor to mechanical system DFMEAs/PFMEAs, DVP&Rs and Product & Process design reviews.
- Lead supplier evaluation and development for responsible commodities, in collaboration with purchasing.
- Support prototype system builds by ensuring parts are on time and that issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Predictable and reliable attendance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Aerospace/Chemical Engineering or equivalent degree with relevant experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in high voltage (>350V) electrification product design or product development.
- Proficient in root cause analysis and resolution .
- Proficient in understanding CAE models, including deciphering boundary conditions, assumptions, and model limitations.
- Adept in data processing and statistical analysis.
- Effective communicator, capable of concisely presenting highly technical test data to internal and external customers, as well as effectively communicating with suppliers.
- Experienced with the design, handling, and manufacture of high voltage lithium-ion battery systems.
- Educated on common automotive & industry standards.
- Familiar with the product design process.
- Self-motivated problem solver; pays attention to the details.
- Challenges the status quo and strives for continuous improvement.
- Abides by safety standards and protocols.
- Focuses on Quality: Drives work results with quality focus in actions and results.
- Decision Making & Analysis: Makes sound decisions based upon a mixture of data-driven analysis, expertise, experience, and judgment; collects relevant information, seeking input from others, and identifies connections and/or root causes of problems.
- Takes Initiative: Exhibits strong drive for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
- Future Focus: Generates novel and valuable ideas and uses these ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods, systems, products, or services.
- Continual Improvement: Displays a consistent orientation toward producing the highest quality products or services, while keeping a focus on sustainability. Constantly looking for incremental improvements in work processes and results.
- Working Safely: Demonstrates safe behaviors. Aware of potentials risks and threats in the workplace.
- Delivers Results: Achievement oriented, feeling a sense of urgency to reach goals on time, if not before.
- Integrity: Acts and makes decisions in a manner consistent with the needs of the public in delivery of products/services. Acts in line with the culture and norms of both the organization and society in general.
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively with others to accomplish team goals and organizational objectives.
- Communications: Exchanges thoughts, feelings, and information effectively.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to adjust focus, especially due to concentration on a computer screen.
- Must be able to maintain attention for long periods of time.
Why Join Us
American Battery Solutions (ABS) provides comprehensive benefit plan options at no cost, competitive salary, and equity eligibility to all associates. ABS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Paid time off includes 4 weeks, 15 holidays, sick time, and parental leave.
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability life insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA) offerings.
- Company provided 401K savings plan with matching contributions to help you save for retirement.
- Voluntary benefits offerings.
- Tuition assistance.
- Employee Referral program.
- Employee development and career growth opportunities.
At American Battery Solutions (ABS) we are developing the next generation of battery energy storage systems that will power the vehicles of today and tomorrow! Our team works with the latest technologies and battery chemistries engineering, testing, and manufacturing batteries to power the world’s electric propulsion transition. At ABS you may get a chance to work on a project for an autonomous warehouse robot or an autonomous lawnmower, or you may work on a battery for a fleet of delivery vehicles or a transit bus, or even an EV start-up or a massive grid energy storage system. Our team is led by some of the industry’s most experienced professionals, but we pride ourselves on developing a diverse team of next-generation battery experts.
The Location - Lake Orion
American Battery Solutions Headquarters and Innovation Center is located in the heart of South-East Michigan in Orion Township. Orion Township is a Pure Michigan Trail Town that has a long-standing dedication to enhancing trails and pathways in its community, which is home to the Polly Ann Trail, Paint Creek Trail, and Iron Belle Trail. The township boasts more than 50 miles of trails. Southeast Michigan also boasts some of the best eating around! Whether your interest is in furthering your education, enjoying one of the many regional sporting events, or enjoying the vast outdoors that Michigan has to offer, you’ll be at the center of it here!
AMERICAN BATTERY SOLUTIONS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
American Battery Solutions
AddressLake Orion, MI
ManufacturingView all jobs at American Battery Solutions