Lead Network Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Responsible for the daily operations of the following functional areas: SD-WAN, Azure Cloud Network Support, WAN infrastructure; LAN infrastructure; and other network related technology services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Critical work includes design, build and support of AAMVA network solutions, addressing user support requests with excellent customer service and serving as part of an on-call team that maintains critical AAMVA infrastructure. Position will also require occasional weekend work and on-call availability.
1. Performs maintenance, design and development of AAMVA’s infrastructure network systems such as SD-WAN, Azure Cloud, WAN, LAN, Internet, Intranet, data communication systems.
2. Reviews and conducts feasibility studies, evaluates, and plans for various infrastructure network upgrade projects.
3. Performs the maintenance of new and existing equipment, determines hardware and software needs, and maintains appropriate inventory of equipment.
4. Assists with RFP preparations and participates in bid proposals and specifications for infrastructure projects; prepares contracts, project plans, scope of work, status and summary reports and correspondence.
5. Maintains operational standards, policies, and procedures for the IT Infrastructure network services team.
6. Trains, assigns work and monitors assigned network managers and consultants.
7. Provides technical advice and assistance to AAMVA staff to ensure efficient network systems.
8. Stays current with new technologies, trends and related practices in the industry, and determines when and if new technology is appropriate for introduction into the AAMVA enterprise architecture;
Direct Reports to this Position: N/A
Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Business Administration, or a closely related field. Masters Degree preferred.
Six (6) years of recent and increasingly responsible information technology infrastructure experience, including five years of network management and support expertise, a minimum of two years of experience managing SD-WAN technologies, and exposure to Cloud networking concepts and environments (with a strong demonstrated desire to learn and grow in this area).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
Knowledge of: Principles and practices of administration and project planning; current trends and technology in the industry, including SD-WAN, Cloud Networking, WAN and LAN networking, information security, data communication, and telecommunication; database services, systems development and programming, software, hardware equipment, network equipment, interfaces and connectivity of system devices, and other related equipment and systems.
Ability to: work independently and make sound judgments; work within established budgets and timelines; prepare written procedures, policies, reports, and correspondence; analyze data and documents, develop logical solutions, make appropriate recommendations and revisions to processes and strategies; analyze, recommend, and implement future network, requirements and needs; provide technical advice; review systems operations, development, and network technical support; analyze documents; correctly interpret, apply, and make a decision in accordance with relevant laws, regulations, and policies; represent AAMVA at professional events; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; supervise, train, and evaluate professional and technical staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Experience designing, managing, and supporting environments that employ the following technologies is highly desirable:
- Advanced knowledge of at least one SD-WAN technology platform.
- Advanced understanding of Silver Peak or Aruba SD-WAN technologies, both virtual and physical appliances.
- Strong foundation in TCP/IP.
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco router technologies, including Cisco routing protocols.
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco switch technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco firewall technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco VPN technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of network architecture principals.
- Intermediate knowledge of Cisco Nexus switching and ToR technologies.
- Intermediate knowledge of Cisco security technologies (i.e. ACS, ISE)
- Intermediate knowledge of wireless technologies.
- Intermediate knowledge of virtualization technologies.
- Intermediate knowledge of server management principles, specifically focused on Windows.
- Basic computer security principles (Anti-virus, anti-spam and personal firewall)
Skills must include:
- Attention to detail is sufficient to track and troubleshoot issues, license, and support agreements, create and maintain technical documentation.
- Following technical operational procedures.
- Communicating technical information to diverse audiences.
- Expert proficiency with Visio or similar drawing platforms.
Abilities must include:
- Lifting servers, monitors, and networking equipment.
- Datacenter cable management best practices.
- Diligently documenting all work in a trouble tracking system.
- Independently researching and resolving technical problems.
- Regularly working outside of standard business hours.
Experience must include:
- Four years in a technical support environment with minimum 2 years supporting SD-WAN. Cloud networking exposure will be seen as a strong differentiator.
- Microsoft or Cisco certifications are a plus.
American Association of Motor
TechnologyView all jobs at American Association of Motor