- Expired: May 14, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
System Engineers serve to maintain a strong awareness of technical trends in information technology, develop and maintain a strong awareness of on-going IT projects, and business unit requirements; are able to apply the project management model selected for a given development effort; and provide analysis, design, development, deployment, and lifecycle support for innovative hardware systems and applications. Assignments may include leading teams consisting of contractor personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyze and study complex system requirements, functional business applications and design specifications.
- Apply business process improvement practices to re-engineer methodologies and principles and business process modernization projects.
- Apply activity and data modeling, transaction flow analysis, internal control and risk analysis, and modern business methods and performance measurement techniques.
- Assist in establishing standards for information systems procedures.
- Confer with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Design software tools and subsystems to support software reuse and domain analyses and manage their implementation.
- Develop analytical and computational techniques and methodology for problem solutions.
- Develop and apply organization-wide information models for use in designing and building integrated, shared software and database management systems.
- Develops block diagrams and logic flow charts. Translate detailed design into computer software.
- Enhance software to reduce operating time or improve efficiency.
- Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Estimate software development costs and schedule. Review existing programs and assist in making refinements, reducing operating time, and improve current techniques. Supervise software configuration management.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve workflow.
- Perform functional analysis, timeline analysis, cost estimation, trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Perform strategic systems planning, business information planning, business and analysis.
- Prepare required documentation, including both program-level and user-level documentation.
- Provide technical direction to programmers to ensure program deadlines are met.
- Provide technical guidance in software engineering techniques and automated support tools.
- Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Tests, debugs, and refines the computer software to produce the required product.
- Use object-oriented programming languages, as well as client/server applications development processes and multimedia and Internet technology.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to convey technical information to non-technical individuals.
- Ability to develop a project plan and workflow based on a project management model.
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate orally, in writing, and interpersonally to various customers/audiences.
- Ability to identify technology gaps in current capabilities and processes.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve technical and non-technical issues (e.g. equipment, systems, networks, computer operations, cover issues etc.).
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Considerable knowledge of Project Management concepts and principles.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Knowledge of project management processes, procedures and tools.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Project planning and management skills, including scope of work, time estimation, and resource assignment.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills; ability to create original concepts/theories for various projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills to resolve problems in a professional manner, lead working groups, negotiate and create consensus.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Technology Design - Generating or adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
General equivalency guidelines for education, certifications, and experience are provided below; however, these guidelines do not immediately qualify someone at a particular skill level.
Skill levels for an individual are based upon a combination of education, training, and experience, e.g. someone may have 20 years of professional experience; however, they may only be qualified as Journeyman based upon the expertise needed to perform the work within that category.
- General professional years of experience may be substituted for specialized years of experience at a ratio of three (3) years of general experience within an occupation for one (1) year of specialized experience
- Relevant certifications will be considered equivalent to three (3) months of specialized experience.
- An Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to eighteen (18) months specialized experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to three (3) years specialized experience (total equivalency is not cumulative when combined with an Associate's degree).
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to two (2) years specialized experience (up to a total of five (5) years when combined with a Bachelor's degree).
- A Doctorate in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or a scientific or technical discipline related to the specific skill will be considered equivalent to two (2) years specialized experience (up to a total of seven (7) years when combined with a Master's and a Bachelor's).
- Experience in delivering capabilities related to a skill, language, system, or technology.
- Requires a minimum of three (3) years of experience specific to the skill.
- Ability, training and actual work experience with the specific computer language, systems, and/or technology is significantly more important than the number of years of experience. This is especially true with emerging technologies.
Work is primarily performed in an office environment. Typically, employees sit comfortably to do their work, interspersed by brief periods of standing, walking, bending, carrying papers and books, and extensive periods requiring the use of computer terminals to accomplish work objectives.
All positions require an active TS/SCI with poly clearance.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of all job functions that the employee may be required to perform, and the employee may be required to perform additional functions.
- Altus reserves the right to revise the job description at any time.
- The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
- Employment with Altus Consulting Corporation is "At Will". This means that either party may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice.
- Altus Consulting Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Altus Consulting Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Altus Consulting Corp
Get fresh Information System Engineer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.