Senior Civic Data Analyst
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Alta Planning + Design is an active transportation company dedicated to creating active, healthy communities through planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and education/encouragement programs. Alta was founded in 1996 when cities and communities were calling for safer streets for people walking and bicycling as the non-motorized transportation movement developed into a profession in the United States. We pioneered the field of active transportation, evolving our planning and design work into a visionary global practice that empowers people to live active, healthy lives and getting them to where they need to go.
Our core values and work bring about positive change by creating places that are geared toward moving people rather than cars, connecting community members to daily needs and human experience, and empowering every person to live an active healthy life. As a global leader in mobility innovation for over 24 years with 175 people on staff, we are dedicated to connecting people to places by working across disciplines and scale to address social justice, safety, and environmental resilience.
Alta’s Senior Civic Data Analysts are at the forefront of civic data analytics. They bring data-informed decision-making to a multidisciplinary practice. The Civic Analytics group at Alta are setting new standards for leading innovations to enhance transportation choice and advance communities’ goals for sustainability, transportation equity, and health. If you are passionate about using data to tell the stories of people on the move, this is the position for you.
The location for this position will preferably be in Los Angeles, but open to other locations.
Responsibilities + Tasks
The essential priorities of this position are to:
- Oversee the technical work of other staff, and manage advanced technical project tasks or Civic Analytics related projects from start to finish. This would include guidance to conform to scope expectations, tracking staff progress, and reviewing work products.
- Collaborate with planners, engineers, programs specialists, and other disciplines to develop innovative analytics scopes, schedules, and budgets that deliver.
- Proactively develop new approaches, identify team needs and encourage the development of staff within the Civic Analytics team and across disciplines. Invests in technical core competencies for themselves and champions the dissemination of knowledge to other staff.
- Perform advanced technical work where an understanding of databases, geospatial analytics, urban informatics, social science methods, statistics, and familiarity with transportation planning is present at an advanced level.
- Contribute to the construction of a work culture that nurtures experimentation, innovation, and technical entrepreneurship.
- Act as a project technical leader by advising junior staff on the implementation of good data collection procedures and documents. Provides staff context and resources where appropriate in this endeavor.
- Active progenitor of new tools and methodologies. Proactively advocates the use of advanced technologies on projects and exercises judgement on when and how it is appropriate to use them.
- Actively lead the development of analytical scope language and coordinates Civic Analytics contributions to proposals. Will use more standard scope language rather than creating their own where possible. Perform pre-analysis for proposals themselves or delegate where appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of a robust knowledge base at Alta by leading company-wide webinars. Identify gaps in both the Civic Analytics team knowledge base and that of the Planning Teams.
- Foster integration of new and improved approaches into workflows at Alta from scoping, to implementation, and training.
- Conduct code reviews of junior analyst's notebooks, scripts, and similar analytical processes.
- Lead 1-2 areas of data science specialization, providing expertise and collaboration with regional leaders and project managers across all Alta offices.
Key position responsibilities for this role include the following:
- Routinely interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others.
- Leads project meetings and makes presentations.
- Represents the organization and maintains liaison with individuals and related organizations.
- Expected to lead trainings/Organize team effort/Lead task execution.
- Develops innovative analytical approaches and tools.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience, and education including, but not limited to:
- Master’s Degree in core Alta Disciplines or a Bachelors Statistics, Engineering, Math, or Social Sciences - Master’s Degree Preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Python, SQL and/or R.
- GIS Proficiency - both open-source (PostGIS, QGIS, geopandas, etc.) and the ESRI suite ( ArcGISPro, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, etc.).
- Demonstrated work of applied statistics or machine learning techniques to transportation challenges.
- Ability to create informative data visualizations through code (e.g. D3, ggplot, matplotlib, plotly, kepler.gl, etc.).
- Experience designing, implementing and documenting analytical solutions using code. Ability to execute an analysis entirely with code.
- Basic familiarity with deploying analytical solutions over the web with the use of Flask, Django, Fast-API, or R-Shiny.
- Data specifications & database acronyms like OSM, MDS, GTFS, GBFS, GPS, CDS, CurbLR don’t scare you.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
- 5 year(s) of experience manipulating data sets, visualizing data, building statistical models, and the general application of data science concepts and tools within the domain of transportation planning or consulting.
- Demonstrated experience leading analytics projects that advance the public good.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced working environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Python/R, GIS, MS Office, Hadoop/Spark/Storm or other big data processing frameworks.
- Experience with web service deployment and cloud hosting (AWS, GCP, DigitalOcean, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with deploying analytical solutions over the web with the use of Flask, Django, Fast-API, or R-Shiny.
- AICP/ASLA/PE Preferred
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This is a largely sedentary role that operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
0-10% travel to other offices for training opportunities.
What We Offer
The pay range for this job in Los Angeles is $87,000 – 115,000 annually. Placement within the range is based upon experience, skill-sets, and qualifications.
Alta offers comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees.
- Medical: PPO or HSA medical plans, Alta pays 75% of the cost.
- Dental/Vision: PPO, Alta pays 90% of the cost.
- Life Insurance: Alta pays 100% of the premium for life and AD&D, equal to your base compensation.
- 401k: Alta provides a safe harbor match up to 4%.
- PTO: 21 days accrued annually to start.
- Holidays: 11 total company-paid holidays
- Additional benefits: Wellness reimbursement up to $800 annually, Alta Gets Around reimbursement up to $900 annually, 5-year travel award, and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Please also include a link to a portfolio website and/or upload at least one sample of your graphic design work for us to review. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.
Alta requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Proof of vaccination or an approved exemption for new employees will be verified prior to the first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or receipt of an approved exemption will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.
AddressSalt Lake City, UT
TechnologyView all jobs at Alta Planning
Get fresh Senior Transportation Analyst jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.