Graphic Designer & Print Pre-Press Technician
We are a locally owned marketing and visual communications company who is looking for a detailed oriented full-time Graphic Designer and Pre-Press technician to join our team in downtown Raleigh.
As our graphic designer, you will be using the latest printing technology to help our clients effectively create and produce business cards, catalogs, high-quality banners, brochures, and much more! Every day brings a new opportunity to expand your skills in this exciting fast-paced industry.
You will also aid our prepress department in facilitating the print process utilizing network systems, all image processing systems with RIPs (including copiers, imagesetters and printers), all digital preparation and output hardware and software used in the shop. It is essential that the Pre-Press Technician has complete comfort with current technologies and the ability and desire to learn and embrace all new emerging technologies that are appropriate for our business.
- Typesets copy changes and performs light design & layout work for clients.
- Produce, correct, preflight and output files for both offset and digital presses.
- Understand imposition and plate processes for small duplicators up to 40” presses
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of digital presses and large format printers.
- Maintain accurate records of work performed and product generated, utilizing internal job tickets and tracking systems.
- Ensure consistency of database information, file structure and archiving records.
- Assist with both Mac and PC troubleshooting and provide support to the Creative department as needed.
- Knowledge of networked systems.
- Responsible for executing variable data programs for complex, digital print jobs.
- Maintains all digital file backup and archiving systems for the Shop
- Plan, analyze, and create visual solutions
- Create print or electronic media using color, type, illustration, photography, animation, and other various techniques
- Develop material for internet web pages, interactive media, and multimedia projects
- Remain up to date on changing trends in the graphic design industry
- Interpret customer requests and turn ideas into tangible products
- Actively communicate with clients to understand and deliver design material to their satisfaction
- College/university degree preferred; 2 or 4 year trade school acceptable
- 2+ year(s) experience in Mac OS 9 and/or OS X and Windows networked environments
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat and Distiller, InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop, QuarkXPress, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat production plug-ins (Enfocus, ArtsPDF and Quite) a plus
- Experience with Agfa computer-to-plate systems and Xitron Rip Drivers a plus
- Experience operating digital printing equipment & large format printing equipment a plus
- Experience with personalized database printing (variable data printing)
- Experience with postal regulations and mailing services a plus
- Demonstrate a competence on the Internet including World Wide Web and e-mail
- Working knowledge of html, java and Web-page development software a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a high-production, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and overtime
- Ability and willingness to learn new software and hardware technologies
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills absolutely required
- Excellent project and time management
- Ability to communicate ideas visually, orally, and in writing.
- Creativity and problem solving skills
- Have an eye for detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to accurately discern colors
- The ability to work independently
- Print design experience preferred
- Adobe Creative Suite experience required
- Proficient in both MAC & PC
- 4 year Graphic Design degree; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Wages commensurate with experience/skill level.