Aviation Career Technical Education (CTE) Instructor
- Posted: over a month ago
- $30 Hourly
Description: AlphaFlight is seeking an instructor to teach a high school Aviation Flight class in support of our contract with the South Bend Public School Corporation. The person hired for this position will teach high school juniors a “pilot-centric” course that exposes them to the many different paths to being a career pilot as well as Private Pilot ground school. NOTE: This position may be applied for in conjunction with the same position at the Plymouth Municipal Airport that meets in the afternoon.
Compensation: $30 per hour.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 0830-1100, August - June (school year); days off follow the school calendar.
- Twenty-one years of age
- High School Diploma (college degree preferred)
- Hold a current FAA Advanced Ground Instructor and/or Certified Flight Instructor certificate
- Have at least: two years of experience as an AGI or CFI or 4,000 hours total time as PIC/SIC in a Part 121 or Part 135 operation or have served as a military pilot and have at least an AGI, to meet the requirements for an Indiana Workplace Specialist I License, or hold an Indiana Teachers License.
- Occupational experience verified by letters from current/former employers to include:
- Job title and duties
- Hours worked per week
- Start/end dates
- Name and title of employer
- Submitted on company letterhead
- Pass an AlphaFlight HR interview
- Pass a pre-employment drug test
- Pass a criminal background check
- Have a dedication towards excellence
- Have an enthusiastic and engaging attitude toward instruction
- Work well with high school aged students
- If not licensed to teach in Indiana, you will apply for an Initial Workplace Specialist I (WS I) License under the guidance of our Teacher of Record
- Receive annual CPR Training
- Receive Suicide Prevention Training
- Convert to a Workplace Specialist II License
- Complete Ball State University 14-unit online course
- Pass the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) exam
- Complete a Professional Development Plan
- Random drug and alcohol screening program
- Teach Private Pilot ground school, drawing on AlphaFlight’s and your own lesson plans, in conjunction with Sporty’s online ground school lessons, and utilizing PowerPoint, whiteboards and props
- Take daily attendance
- Assist students in applying for dual-credit
- Administer quizzes and tests
- Submit grades
- Arrange field trips
- Arrange guest speakers
- Monitor student's progress in the Sporty's course
- Conduct fun and engaging activities that teach/reinforce aviation concepts
This is a very unique part-time (2.5 hours per school day) opportunity teaching aviation to high school juniors during the school year. The students enrolled in our Aviation Flight program are from four area high schools and meet at the South Bend International Airport (KSBN) every school day as part of the Career and Technical Education (CTE) program. These students also receive simulator time a five hours of flight time, high school credits and dual-credits with Ivy Tech Community College.
Primary focus is on the Private Pilot ground school but this is geared toward exposing students to the many and varied opportunities out there as a pilot and to get them excited about it as a career option.
Our classroom is in the terminal building and is equipped with one large-screen HDMI monitor and white board allow for easy presentation of material. A simulator lab houses a Redbird simulator with a Redbird G.I.F.T. Private Pilot key.
Simulator lab is conducted during class time. Flying is conducted outside of class (usually on weekends) at the Plymouth Municipal Airport (C65) by AlphaFlight CFI’s. Students are responsible for transportation to the airport for flights.
The instructor should be able to incorporate fun activities like building balsa wood, rubber band-powered, airplanes, model rockets, etc.
If you are not a licensed teacher in Indiana, this position allows for occupational experience as a professional pilot or ground instructor to qualify. As long as you can document that you have worked in the career field for a minimum of two years, it should be very easy to receive a Workplace Specialist License. We will help you in the process to become fully certified.
Contact us with any questions at email@example.com or 574.914.4455.
AddressSouth Bend, IN
EducationView all jobs at AlphaFlight