The general purpose of this position is to perform a variety of desk auditing examinations, control and public assistance duties relative to the preparation, payment and collection of various state taxes in an efficient and effective manner with the highest level of customer focus and accuracy. The position requires the ability to independently research and analyze taxpayer information from a variety of sources.
Employee may access Federal Tax Information while performing daily job duty. All taxpayer information, federal and state, obtained by an employee in the performance of his/her duties is confidential and not to be shared with anyone outside the Department, except as specified by the Indiana Statute. Any employee or officer of the Department of Revenue who accesses tax information without a business reason, unofficially or without approval, will be dismissed from employment.
- Issues determinations based on desk audit examinations of the accuracy and validity of financial statements, tax returns, and other applicable documentation submitted for various Claims for Refunds for various tax types (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor vehicle, corporation, etc…) in writing, in RPS, and other related systems.
- Assists protest hearing officers and attorneys concerning collection and analysis of determinations, procedures, calculations, and other information related to Claims for Refunds, Utility Sales Tax Exemption Applications, and other related functions during an investigation when necessary for the conduct of a hearing or trial.
- Reviews and releases processing review items to allow or disallow claims for refunds in RPS.
- Issues determinations based on desk audit examinations of the accuracy and validity of utility studies based on taxpayers’ business process, technical issues, types of industry, and other applicable documentation submitted for Utility Sales Tax Exemption Applications Form ST-200 in writing and other related systems.
- Revokes erroneous tax exemptions in RPS, other related systems, and with Public Utility service providers.
- Completes desk audit examinations to determine the validity and accuracy of amended tax returns for various tax types (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor vehicle, corporation, etc…) to allow or disallow claims for refunds in RPS and other related systems.
- Completes desk audit examinations of suspended tax returns for various tax types (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor vehicle, corporation, etc…) to allow or disallow claims for refunds in RPS.
- Performs account and financial maintenance which may result in creating and/or canceling liabilities, transferring payments, establishing payment arrangements, setting and releasing holds on liabilities, and contacts taxpayers concerning errors, delinquencies or overpayments in RPS and other related systems.
- Computes and assesses penalty and interest due after determining penalty and interest is applicable on delinquent taxes, erroneous refunds, and/or registration in RPS and other related systems.
- Verifies payments, credits and deductions claimed on various tax returns in RPS and other related systems, and computes and issues billings due to underpayment or nonpayment of taxes in RPS and other related systems.
- Completes refund tracer and lost warrant affidavit requests in RPS and with various State Departments (Auditor of the State, Attorney General, etc…).
- Quietus erroneous refund checks in RPS.
- Processes various original and amended tax returns and forms (sales, withholding, income, county innkeepers, food and beverage, motor vehicle, corporation, etc…)
- Assists supervisor with workload distribution, short term planning, and statistical reports regarding production output and backlogs.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- Three (3) years full time paid clerical/technical experience in an office environment OR two (2) years post secondary education in the areas of business, bookkeeping, accounting, communications, or a related field. Collection experience, knowledge of State and/or Federal tax laws, rules, and regulations for various tax types helpful, but not required.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- May have the need to periodically lift/carry/move objects/boxes weighing up to 30 pounds; as well as to stoop and/or bend to perform light filing tasks as needed.