The Senior Manager, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services will actively support the development and implementation of strategies for the Client's clinical services sourcing categories. In doing so, the Manager, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services works closely with the Client's Legal, Global Brands R&D (including Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, and the Chief Medical Officer organizations), Finance, and Global Procurement teams to ensure these strategies and their related implementation plans are managed proactively and through cross-functional teams. This position will work closely with managers and leaders across the Client's therapeutic areas. In collaboration with these teams, the Senior Manager, R&D Procurement Clinical Services is responsible for:
- Strategic Sourcing: Actively contribute to the development and implementation of sourcing strategies for R&D clinical services. Lead and support the supplier selection process, including the selection of transactional and preferred vendors, for designated studies, programs and/or services. This includes supporting clinical teams and key internal stakeholders in Client with the development of specifications and criteria for outsourced services, evaluation of suppliers, and the management of selected suppliers. Proactively support supplier management activities such as issue resolution, performance trending, and supplier governance where appropriate, including managing an interactive lessons learned session and process improvements.
- Achieve Significant Synergies and Cost Savings: Proactively support clinical services category assessment teams to ensure that all potential opportunities for operational, quality, and financial synergies are identified, tracked, and implemented. Ensure that cost savings are achieved whenever possible without placing risk on the company's quality, operational, timeline, and projected revenue requirements. Ensure the communication and alignment of these synergy and savings targets across business partners and organizational leaders to provide consistency of message and approach.
- Contract Management: Develop and foster relationships with preferred/alliance suppliers to ensure clear communication, create an environment of partnership, and agreed-to contractually committed levels of service, quality, delivery, and cost. Collaborate and support in the development and implementation of multi-year strategies to align the Client's most significant clinical suppliers with the Client's global clinical development plans.
- Requirement Definitions: Proactively work with business partners to identify sourcing and contracting requirements in advance of supplier communications to ensure clear specifications, requirements, and alignment across the Client's team prior to initiating requests or agreements with suppliers. Periodically review and update the specifications documents to ensure that the changes to study requirements are being monitored and captured for clinical services.
- Request Proposals: Follow a high-quality, consistent, expeditious and effective process to ensure that the proper sources of supply are evaluated and selected to support the business need. Prepare, finalize, and distribute requests for proposal to suppliers with a team of internal Client stakeholders. Manage the receipt and internal distribution of supplier responses and, as appropriate, review proposals, conduct bid evaluation analyses, coordinate bid defenses with the supplier and Client's teams, compile selection criteria/requirements, and facilitate decision-making process to ensure objectivity and adherence to selection criteria while meeting the team's timelines. Provide ad hoc sourcing and analytical support for projects managed by the Director, R&D Procurement - Clinical Services or peers in the R&D Procurement team.
- Negotiate Agreements: Negotiate master services, confidentiality, service standards, and other supplier agreements based on Client templates and with the support of the Client's functional and legal teams to ensure high quality, provide clarity, obtain competitive costs, document timelines, and mitigate risk. Ensure that the negotiations meet the cost savings and synergy targets. Interact with the Legal, Finance, and other departments, as needed, to ensure cross departmental alignment with respect to processes and policies for contract development, approval, execution, and management. Act as the central point of contact through execution of agreements. Manage changes in contract scope, change orders, and amendments to ensure accurate and timely revisions to terms and/or services.
- Category Profile and Maintenance: Document and maintain a comprehensive category profile for the R&D/Clinical services category. Manage the contract life-cycle for the preferred suppliers classified under each category (e.g. renewing expiring contracts, updating pricing annually, monitor discount structures/tiers etc.).
In alignment with the Client's core competencies, the incumbent must demonstrate the following behaviors and abilities:
- Deliver Business Results: (1) understand the Client's business requirements, clearly include these within supplier contracts, (2) demonstrate and apply functional knowledge, experiences, and management skills to promote team performance and continual improvement across the organization's work with R&D services suppliers, (3) establish clear contractual outcomes and deliverables/milestones which are associated with supplier compensation, (4) ensure applicable suppliers execute services as committed, and (5) support and handle issue resolution for outsourced services.
- Enhance Organizational Performance: (1) foster clear, consistent, and open collaboration across the extended the Client and supplier teams, (2) identify and pursue new ideas and constructive change to support improved execution from both Client and our suppliers, and (3) support the issue escalation process at the operational level and ensure timely escalation to senior leadership.
- Demonstrate Personal Leadership: (1) act with integrity, initiative, and sound judgment to reinforce trust, professionalism, and commitments, (2) communicate regularly, openly, and effectively both within Client and to our suppliers, as appropriate, and (3) inspire and empower peers, Client team and suppliers, as appropriate, to achieve and exceed objectives.
- Develop Human Capital: (1) attract, assemble, and retain a high-caliber, multidisciplinary team to support sourcing activities, supplier performance, governance, relationships, and assessments, and (2) continuously develop self and others through both formal and informal training, skill development, communication, performance management and growth opportunities.
- Support multiple R&D Clinical services sourcing categories and projects.
- Effectively project manages all initiatives.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in business or relevant technical discipline.
Preferred: Master's Degree in relevant field and/or Juris Doctorate (JD).
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years in biotechnology/ pharmaceutical industry or equivalent experience. Minimum of 3 years direct experience in a clinical outsourcing/contracts function. Ideally, with direct engagement with CROs and other clinical suppliers. A combination of education and professional experience is acceptable to meet these requirements.
- No licenses or credentials required, however a C.P.M., C.P.I.M., Project Management, Lean, Six Sigma, or other relevant certifications a plus.
- Solid experience (a) sitting/working closely with the study teams (b) supporting the clinical services procurement process end to end and (c) managing 30 studies at the same time (mix of active, in maintenance, financial reconciliation).
- Demonstrated ability to lead the development of contract management processes.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with executives and senior leaders, both internally and externally.
- Excellent business/financial acumen, proficient in leading and managing cross-functional teams.
- Ability to lead, motivate, influence and drive change at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to understand the factors affecting the finances and/or operations of suppliers.
- Excellent global supplier management skills with ability foster and leverage professional relationships.
- Ability to identify and solve complex contractual, process, operational business challenges, and know when to seek assistance.
- Clear understanding of clinical R&D supplier and sponsor businesses, financial drivers, & competencies.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally 10-20% of the time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Adhere to all company policies.
- Embrace the core competencies of the company.
- The requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This 3+month position starts ASAP.
Please E-MAIL your resume (attachment to email) with rate and availability to Bridget: email@example.com
ALPHA'S REQUIREMENT #19-01595
MUST BE ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE U.S. AS AN HOURLY W2 EMPLOYEE