Director of Communications
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Alliance for Justice is a national association of more than 130 organizations dedicated to advancing justice and democracy. For nearly 50 years, we have been leaders in the fight for a more equitable society on behalf of a broad constituency of environmental, consumer, civil and women’s rights, children’s, senior citizens and other groups. Alliance for Justice is premised on the belief that all Americans have the right to secure justice in the courts and to have our voices heard when government makes decisions that affect our lives. Alliance for Justice Action Campaign (AFJ Action) is the 501(c)(4) affiliate that promotes a national conversation about the importance of the courts through advocacy, research, and mobilizing progressive advocates and voters.
Working closely with the Vice President of Strategy and other senior leaders, the Director of Communications will be responsible for leading the organization’s strategic communications efforts and helping to elevate the powerful stories of our members, staff, and our campaigns. The Director will also play a critical role in collaborating on the organization’s storytelling and narrative development, as well as overseeing media relations work. The Director of Communications will also be a strategic thought partner to the VP of Strategy and help in shaping the communications strategy for the overall organization.
The ideal candidate is a leader who:
• Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative organization
• Has a minimum of 8-10 years of experience as a communications expert, manager, or strategist
• Has a vision for using strategic communications, narrative, and storytelling to elevate issues in creative and innovative ways
• Has direct experience managing public relations firms and other vendors to shape a strategic communications vision and plan
• A team player and proven manager, able to inspire both staff and external consultants
• Understands and has experience in crisis communications
• Has a finger on the pulse of the issues we lift up, able to leverage cultural trends to generate enthusiasm, growth, and real power, and be able to convey this information to drive a broad communications plan.
Marketing, Storytelling & Brand Awareness
• Develop strategies to shift the national conversation on key issues -- leveraging partners, research, and other capacities to create change
• Continually leading to evolve our story and capacity for powerful, strategic storytelling, while taking into consideration the growth of the organization and changing political and social realities
• Demonstrated experience in leading research-related projects that will help tell the story of our core issues and work
• Ability to develop the language and substance of the Alliance for Justice and AFJ Action’s campaign work and to translate it for outside audiences
• Execute a multi-year strategy to grow the visibility and influence of Alliance for Justice through organization’s existing and forthcoming digital and offline channels and networks
• Helping ensure quality and consistency of brand identity, narrative, tone, and personality through the media and across all channels (website, social media, email, mobile, video, print, in-person)
• Leads and supports on developing external and well as internal communications including (newsletters, member updates, donor-specific emails)
• Ensure Alliance for Justice and AFJ Action’s campaigns win in the news cycle, creating the right attention for the issues
• Proactively shape the public’s understanding of AFJ and AFJ Action and our core concepts through the media cycle
• Develop partnerships with individuals and media institutions to drive AFJ’s presence and brand toward new audiences, platforms, and opportunities
• Lead on crisis communications, in consultation with the VP of Strategy
• Develops, oversees, and manages media relations and strategic communications budget.
• Works closely with VP of Strategy to develop and implement a communications strategy that leverages the talent and skills of the leadership and staff across AFJ and AFJ Action
• Help to shape a vision for growing AFJ’s strategic communications and media relations work
• Work closely with two Senior Digital Strategists to develop a comprehensive strategic digital communications strategy
People Management and Thought Leadership
• Manage and evaluate staff and other partners, including media vendors, research partners, marketing partners, cross-channel distribution and collaboration partners, and any others who help us advance our communications agenda
• Guide development of content to support the President’s office, the VP of Strategy, and other senior staff efforts to amplify AFJ’s thought leadership
• Serve as a trusted partner to senior staff and their teams in addressing critical strategic issues to ensure successful execution of their campaign specific work
• Engage directly with the President’s office and other senior staff on strategic and crisis communication plans as needed
• Build relationships and partner with staff across the organization to develop communication strategies supporting the organization’s broader communication goals
• Able to demonstrate how to apply communications plans in an ever-changing media landscape with a focus on print, radio, television as well as social media and other relevant channels and platforms to elevate stories
• Experience with strategic narrative development – including sharp, engaging writing for speeches and presentations – on a range of racial and general social issue topics
• Experience managing media engagement for both rapid response and long lead stories
• Experience managing and leading a team, prioritizing management and growth of staff
• Experience centering racial justice and racial equity to drive movements through strategic communications and narrative
• Strong working relationships with reporters, editors, and producers that cover issues relevant to AFJ
• Ability to cultivate, nurture and build new relationships with media to expand our existing list of contacts
• Specific experience pitching stories focused on our core issue areas to local, state, and national media
• Ability to quickly and efficiently draft, edit, and review key-press collateral including press releases and advisories
• Strong portfolio of pitching media and placing stories
• Passionate, energetic, and a strong work ethic, with the flexibility to work outside a traditional 9 to 5 including weekends
• Ability to multi-task and juggle demanding priorities to meet deadlines
• Experience with digital as well as video-based media/press strategies
Our employees share our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position currently has four (4) direct reports: a Press Secretary, two (2) Senior Digital Communications Strategists, and a Marketing and Communications Manager.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. AFJ offices are currently working remotely.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities,
duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The salary minimum for this position is $122,500.
AFJ also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits program:
Health – We offer medical, dental, vision benefits, as well an employee assistance program for physical and mental well-being.
Savings – Save for retirement with our 401K plan with employer matching. Health savings account and flexible spending account. Other insurances include life and disability.
Time – We have a generous paid time off policy.
Family -We provide up to 12 weeks paid leave.
Powered by JazzHR
Alliance for Justice
Get fresh Advancement Director jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.