Please apply online at www.allencountyjobs.us.
THIS POSITION WORKS WITH THE MALE POPULATION AND MUST BE MALE.
Applications are being accepted for current openings. An eligibility list will be established for any future openings.
Positions may be available at the Allen County Jail or Work Release and will be placed at either facility dependent upon need.
This position is full-time, nonexempt, classified and covered as defined by The Board of Commissioners of the County of Allen Employee Handbook.
Hours: Days and shift times vary; 40 hours/week
Under the direction of the Corporal, the Confinement Officer is responsible for maintaining the safety and security for employees, inmates and visitors of the Allen County Jail by upholding the laws, rules and regulations that pertain to the Office of the Sheriff, as well as those that relate to the detention of individuals housed within the Allen County Jail.
- Responsible for the security and safety checks of employees, inmates and visitors of the Allen County Jail.
- Searches individuals to be detained for weapons and other contraband.
- Oversees detainees complete their allowable activities, including counsel visitation, making commissary purchases, mail distribution and telephone calls.
- Regularly inspects jail facility, ensuring security and monitoring the general health and welfare condition of detainees, and ensuring cleanliness and security of cell areas.
- Transports and escorts the inmates to and from the jail, courts, visits and medical facilities.
- Responsible for inspecting, accounting and distributing meals for inmates.
- Performs all necessary booking procedures, including photographing detainees, and completing required forms and intake reports.
- Receives and logs all money and personal property as required by standing orders.
- Ensures inmates receive their daily medicine and receive medical treatment if needed.
- Conducts routine “shakedowns” of all cells and dormitories for contraband, and prepares written report of findings.
- Performs accurate data entry.
- Occasionally testifies in court.
- Interacts with other law enforcement agencies and the general public regarding inmates.
- Very frequent interactions with the inmates.
- Attends seminars and in-service training as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned, including overtime as required.
Minimum Requirements and Working Conditions
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License to transport inmates if necessary
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Ability to successfully complete Defensive Tactics training
- Ability to successful complete the ILEA Jailers Academy within one year of hire date
- Ability to successfully complete the Allen County Jail First Time Officer training program
- Computer skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office and other job related software
- Ability to write reports
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as individual when needed
- Ability to adjust to stressful and unpredictable situations
- Time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use handcuffs, radio, phones, computer, copier, operate department vehicle and other job related equipment
- Ability to physically restrain unruly and violent inmates
The Confinement Officer works in a County detention facility with potential physical and verbally violent adults. Very frequent standing with the ability to walk around freely, frequently lifting over forty pounds, typing with attention to detail, frequently bending, pushing and/or pulling loads, reaching over head and kneeling with some exposure to body fluids, chemicals, noxious odors/fumes and noise. Frequent equipment monitoring with detailed inspection and frequent proofreading. Occassional physical exertion to subdue and restrain violent inmates exists.