In Allegheny County, we appreciate people who think big, act boldly, and care about making a difference. You don't have to be from here to feel at home, or to make your mark. With only 1.3 million people in the County, it's small enough for motivated people to get things done. Allegheny County's Department of Human Services (DHS) is a perfect place to get things done that directly affect people in need in a positive and lasting way.
We are currently seeking applicants for a Research Writer. The Department of Human Service (DHS) is responsible for providing and administering human services to Allegheny County residents. DHS is dedicated to meeting these human service needs, most particularly to the county's most vulnerable populations, through an extensive range of prevention, early intervention, crisis management and after-care services. The research writer is responsible for creating a strategy around the best ways to communicate data and analytic information, developing and maintaining a publications process, managing the content on the county's website (https://analytics.alleghenycounty.us/ ) and preparing and editing written materials in support of the ATP research agenda. She/he works closely with ATP analysts, research and evaluation writers, consultants and other contracted personnel (e.g., proofreaders, graphic designers) to prepare reports for publication, as well as managing the contract and fiscal processes related to these consultants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with analysts and other staff, within ATP and throughout DHS, to write and edit research publications.
- Works with contracted proofreader(s) and graphic designer(s) to prepare research publications for dissemination.
- Edits reports submitted by analysts and other writers at the department on various topics related to human services.
- Coordinates the peer review process for the research agenda, which entails working with internal and external reviewers to solicit and implement their expert feedback.
- Helps identify the best content type for the material - this could include brief summaries, presentations, or long research reports.
- Manages the content on the county's Analytic website.
- Supports other DHS staff, as appropriate, in the preparation and/or editing of a wide variety of written documents.
- Manages the contract process for Research and Evaluation Writers and Consultants, as well as other contracted personnel (e.g., proofreader, graphic designer).
From time to time the employee will be required to perform additional tasks and duties as required by the employer which may include writing and preparation of grant proposals and reports; editing presentations; researching topics related to human services provision and policy; writing procurement solicitations; assisting in Case Competition and other office activities and duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent writer and editor with demonstrated ability to present information in a professional and accessible manner.
- Understanding of basic research and statistics; able to translate into easily understandable text.
- Able to adjust writing style to a variety of forms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; in particular, when working on writing projects with analysts and consultants, must be able to adapt to and accommodate a variety of styles and personalities in collegial and non-defensive manner.
- Strong design sense and ability to envision creative ways of presenting information (e.g., infographics).
- Knowledge of and interest in adapting research communications to a variety of other media platforms.
- Demonstrated interest in public service and research.
- Outstanding time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and accomplish a wide variety of tasks.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Strong computer literacy and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to sit for long period of time (2 plus hours), traverse building and carry up to 10 pounds (files, books, etc.).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, consistent with applicable law.
Bachelor's degree, plus a strong background/experience in human services and writing.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which meets the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Act 33 and 34 clearances.
If hired for a position, candidates would work for Allegheny County, Department of Human Services and be employed by Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute.
It is innovative. Most recently, the national attention and awards we've gotten are for how DHS integrates data and uses them to improve the safety and well-being of children through tools that support front-line staff in making decisions (using predictive analytics).
DHS is diverse, but we strive to be even more inclusive. Our director has made it her top priority that DHS is "the kind of place where a diverse group of talented people want to come, grow, and do their best work." This includes equity in hiring and advancement, as well as in unleashing the creativity and ideas of staff at every level of DHS.
It has strong, assertive leaders. We do not hire yes-people.
In accordance with the Allegheny County mandate effective August 9th, 2021 individuals being made conditional job offers with the county will have to be vaccinated from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to applicable federal and state laws. The prospective employee will need to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before beginning work. Please note you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination.
Fully vaccinated from COVID-19 is defined as:
•2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
•2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine
Lastly, staff are to follow CDC protocols about masking/social distancing, and work on site (not remotely).
DHS strives to be the kind of place where a diverse group of talented people want to come to grow and do their best work.
Allegheny County Department of Human ServicesPittsburgh, PA
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.